#22514  by BOUKINATOR

what key would y'al say this is in?

#22517  by BlobWeird

I have never jammed this one but lookin at the chords and thinkin of the song it sounds as if it resolves to G. Think of the part There really isnt very far to go. Right at the end the arpeggios resolve to G. So yup thats my guess.

#22521  by BOUKINATOR

yeah that was my guess too.. songs with 4 major chords always confuse me as far as the key... and the E is a dominant 7 chord which would imply the key of A... but yes, G seems likely

theory shmeory

#22609  by Rev_Roach

as far as theory shmeory is concerned, that E7 can be called the secondary domiant V7/ii, where ii is the A minor that immediately follows. many times it is a secondary dominant when a major or dominant 7 chord occurs where a minor would be expected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_dominant
 #22614  by astroman99

You guys sure make it confusing...isn't that song developed enough melodically to leave its impression on you, follow the chords, think chromatically(big word for me!). good luck

#22618  by CaptainTrips

you wanna make it easy? play the chords and not the key.

#22626  by strumminsix

Whoa, what's with the odd answers here?

I'm with Bouk that the key is a bit confusing.

CaptainTrips, are you saying play rhythm or to solo over the changes?

Personally, Bouk, with this song I'd play the changes and weave in common notes to the triads.

#22627  by Pete B.

Using the Number system, the verse would be I > VI > ii > V.
Or 1, 6, 2min, 5... in this case G, E, Amin, D (In the key of G).

#22630  by BOUKINATOR

I guess it doesn't matter too much what key the song is in... my band started playing this one recently and I was having some minor trouble finding a good scale to use... I guess I should have asked that instead

#22633  by Billbbill

I just follow the chords.

E-> E mixo and/or E minor pent w/ an optional maj 3rd.

Am-> A-B-C-D-E-F#-G Whatever minor mode that is

D-> Same as for E except D.

G-> Same as for E & D except G.

C & Cm-> I stay close to the chords.

D & G-> Same as previously stated for these chords.

A smatering of chromatics sprinkled around as well.

#22634  by strumminsix

Billbbill wrote: A smatering of chromatics sprinkled around as well.
"smatering" :lol:

#22640  by IamDocWatson

chord tones!/play to changes/arpeggios

i rarely stick an exact scale or worry about which one im in i consider myself to be ALWAYS in the chromatic scale, relying on chord tones and connecting them....then u gotta feel when to break away....maybe do an E major arpeggio over an A chord i rely on scales mostly for like intervalic transitions like int. 1/3 runs or just to noodle around alittle i try to stay in a scale...but anyway

emphasis on your chord tones and dont limit yourself

#22642  by Billbbill

IamDocWatson wrote:chord tones!/play to changes/arpeggios

i rarely stick an exact scale or worry about which one im in i consider myself to be ALWAYS in the chromatic scale, relying on chord tones and connecting them....then u gotta feel when to break away....maybe do an E major arpeggio over an A chord i rely on scales mostly for like intervalic transitions like int. 1/3 runs or just to noodle around alittle i try to stay in a scale...but anyway

emphasis on your chord tones and dont limit yourself
Exactly. But my point was to give a little structure from which to explore. Depending where one is in knowing their instrument (hehe) they may want something a little more tangible to grab a hold of.

Think of my previous post scale citations as the paint from which you'd create a painting. A dab here of this, a dab there of that.
 #22644  by astroman99

Rev_Roach wrote:as far as theory shmeory is concerned, that E7 can be called the secondary domiant V7/ii, where ii is the A minor that immediately follows. many times it is a secondary dominant when a major or dominant 7 chord occurs where a minor would be expected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_dominant
I tried to read what it said in wikipedia, I guess theory is not my strong point(what an understatement), it just looks like you can intellectualize any note to be in a # of scales or modes at the same time depending on various factors(key).
I say the blueprints have all been layed out by Jerry, listen to the big picture, not necessaraly (sic)note for note but what techniques, up to down, down to up in melody, bends, dynamics, and by all means put that book down and pick up a guitar, it will all fit together, There are only 12 notes...in western music, that narrows it down a bit. I think in Dupree's you can play them all but one or two, Oh and by the way do you like the older versions, or the newer 70's and 80's with the envelope filter?

#22652  by BlobWeird

I like both versions. Love the intro's on the 80's versions with the octave. But I love Jerrys style of singing it in the 60's