#497  by Marv Throneberry

Instead of Am7 Am-13 (D-E-F#-G*), isn't this really C Cm D (same bassline walkup) G ? Tab says:

-----------|-------------|---------------------------------
B---------1-|-----------1-|---------------------------------
G------0----|--------0----|-------------0-------------------
D---2-------|-2---1-------|-1---0--2--4---------------------
A-----------|--------------|---------------------------------
E-----------|--------------|---------------------------------

2nd chord (Eb G C) is Cm to me. Anyone?
 #675  by Billbbill

I'm with you on those changes. I also have an entirely different take on the chorus. It's taken more from my sense of live versions (and probably wrong I might add) and Jerry's line.

G---------------------G---Bm(GMaj7)--Em-G-Am----------------D----C---Cm-D
"Well you know...just can't ...........figure first ......gonna pull that trigger

E------E7--------G--F#---F----E----Am-------D------------------G----
And...wonder reason goes bad jellyroll'll drive you stone mad."

tab for the G-Bm-Em-G would look like this
----G--Bm-Em-G
e---3---2---3---3
b---3---3---5---3
g---4---4---4---4

This is a chord riff Jerry would play often, and off of, in Eyes and Harder They Come among others. Three strums each to get the Jerry effect.

You can play different positions to get the desired walk down effect.

G, F#, E, D over the G Bm Em G chords and F# E Eb D over the D C Cm D.

I also play E then E7 at the beggining of every verse.

Any thoughts on my madness?
 #676  by ebick

Billbbill wrote: E------E7--------G--F#---F----E----Am-------D------------------G----
And...wonder reason goes bad jellyroll'll drive you stone mad."
I'm with both of you except for the above......I'm not hearing the E/E7 for "And it's no wonder".

But I'll change the other parts. Thanks

#678  by Billbbill

Hello EB,
Thanks for your work here. It's probably my main stop when I'm looking for stuff on the boys. I'll try to bounce my 2 cents off you here and there.
I'm not sure where I got the E - E7 thing in the chorus, I'll have to sit down with Doin again. Do you hear it at the beginning of each verse?

#683  by ebick

I think at the beginning of each verse it's fine, but maybe more of a preference. I don't think I'll be changing that part of tab when I do the other things mentioned here, but having it mentioned here gives folks the choice.
 #88053  by Billbbill

So since 6 years ago when I originally chimed in on this (that's pretty cool!) I've morphed my thoughts on this (the chorus) - well really only in the last week or so as I've taken another look see for an eventual youtube vid. I'm gonna stay away from naming the shapes as I'll probably name them wrong. I do like this better and it's an early 80's take on what jg may be up to.

The letters (other than the end which are chords) are the first letters of the lyric the forms are played over.

WYKS = Well you know son etc.
Code: Select all

(/) Slide Up  (\) Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

W Y K  S      Y   J  C  Figure F T Y  K  Y Gonna  
E|---------3----------3--2-------
B|--3\2/3--3--3\2/3---3--3--5--3---5\4/5--5--5\4/5------
G|--4\3/4-----4\3/4---4--4--4--4---5\4/5--5--5\4/5---------
D|--5\4/5-----5\4/5---5-----5--5---7\6/7-----7\6/7--------
A|--------
E|--------

Pull   that    Trig- ger
E|-----------------------------
B|----8--8---7--7----5-5---4-4--------
G|----9--9---9--9----5-5---5-5----
D|---10-10--10-10----7-7---7-7--------
A|--------
E|--------

A I N   Wonder G F# F E    Am D G
E|-------------3-------------
B|-----3\2/3---3--3---3-2-1-0----------
G|-----4\3/4------4---4-3-2-1--------
D|-----5\4/5------5---5-4-3-2------
A|--------
E|--------
 #88061  by ebick

Billbbill wrote:WYKS = Well you know son etc.
Code: Select all

(/) Slide Up  (\) Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

W Y K  S      Y   J  C  Figure F T Y  K  Y Gonna  
E|---------3----------3--2-------
B|--3\2/3--3--3\2/3---3--3--5--3---5\4/5--5--5\4/5------
G|--4\3/4-----4\3/4---4--4--4--4---5\4/5--5--5\4/5---------
D|--5\4/5-----5\4/5---5-----5--5---7\6/7-----7\6/7--------
A|--------
E|--------

Pull   that    Trig- ger
E|-----------------------------
B|----8--8---7--7----5-5---4-4--------
G|----9--9---9--9----5-5---5-5----
D|---10-10--10-10----7-7---7-7--------
A|--------
E|--------

A I N   Wonder G F# F E    Am D G
E|-------------3-------------
B|-----3\2/3---3--3---3-2-1-0----------
G|-----4\3/4------4---4-3-2-1--------
D|-----5\4/5------5---5-4-3-2------
A|--------
E|--------
In an extremely gay, effeminte (not that there's anything wrong with it!) voice......

LOVE IT!

Very nice work.
 #88074  by tigerstrat

As long as we don't yada-yada the good parts, right?

Hey that's funny that you re-posted here after 6 years, because I was just sitting down to play around with DDB after a bassist friend had requested it. The song has been under my radar so to speak for... well, decades, despite always loving it. Definitely love those early 80's ones with the mutron solos. Wow check out 9/11/82! Or the solos in 6/27/83 (nevermind the vocal flubs)

I like what you've got here, Bill, although my *initial* impression would be to simplify some of the triple stop stuff to double stops, and after just a little while working on the song I have a leaning toward playing this whole chorus at the 7th and 5th positions.
 #88083  by Billbbill

tigerstrat wrote:As long as we don't yada-yada the good parts, right?

Hey that's funny that you re-posted here after 6 years, because I was just sitting down to play around with DDB after a bassist friend had requested it. The song has been under my radar so to speak for... well, decades, despite always loving it. Definitely love those early 80's ones with the mutron solos. Wow check out 9/11/82! Or the solos in 6/27/83 (nevermind the vocal flubs)

I like what you've got here, Bill, although my *initial* impression would be to simplify some of the triple stop stuff to double stops, and after just a little while working on the song I have a leaning toward playing this whole chorus at the 7th and 5th positions.
Touche Tom! Don't give short shrift to the good parts!

Yea, while I thought about 7th as the fingering for the line is easier, having the bottom G is slightly trickier - and I did stay at the 5 for the Am initally, just starting with what amounted to an Am7 with my pinky on the B/8 for the g note and just keeping the A and C notes droning over the top of the descending line. I think I went with starting out the second line with the C form instead cause it was a bit brighter. Staying at the 5th may be a bit smoother though.