#28425  by strumminsix

Bravo!

#28463  by ronster

Nice job Bill. Not an easy song by any means to sing play and remember. If your looking for comments I'd go with try to keep belting tune out with feeling all the way through. A few moments where you kinda run outa air or not ready for the vocals and it goes a little weak. I would also add more runs between your chord changes to give it more of that Jerry feel. If you want me to tab a few examples I would be happy to. Excellent lead, fit in very well with the tune. Are you playing that in G all the way through are following chord patterns? If you want to tab that out for public consumption I would be grateful. Are you using a webcam with built in mic or do you use a digital camcorder and seperate mic? Looking to get set up and would appreciate any advise on cameras, mic, and editing software.

#28473  by shakedown_04092

Well, it WOULD be a great video, minus that UGLY shirt your wearing! :lol:

#28474  by ker1227

hey ronster, i wouldnt mind seeing a few of the runs if you dont mind

thanks

#28484  by Billbbill

ronster wrote:Nice job Bill. Not an easy song by any means to sing play and remember. If your looking for comments I'd go with try to keep belting tune out with feeling all the way through. A few moments where you kinda run outa air or not ready for the vocals and it goes a little weak. I would also add more runs between your chord changes to give it more of that Jerry feel. If you want me to tab a few examples I would be happy to. Excellent lead, fit in very well with the tune. Are you playing that in G all the way through are following chord patterns? If you want to tab that out for public consumption I would be grateful. Are you using a webcam with built in mic or do you use a digital camcorder and seperate mic? Looking to get set up and would appreciate any advise on cameras, mic, and editing software.
Thanks Ronster - Singing has never been my string suit - duh. You're right and as much as I try to keep it upermost in my mind - belting it out - I have moments when I trail off. That's one of the reasons I'm doing this. Unless I'm jamming with someone, so much of my time is devoted to everything but playing and singing a tune end to end. I know that probably sounds weird but much time is devoted to scales and approach. It's about time I focus more on the finished product.

I was also conscious of the fact that I didn't want my vocals (as shaky as they can be) too high in the mix. Only a problem with an acoustic and due to the way I'm set up.

Yea I'd like to see some runs - but my focus for these vids is kiss - keep it simple stupid, as playing alone I want to hold it together, although I always play it similar to this.

I'm following the changes. I guess you'd call it modal in that there are subtle changes from chord change to chord change i.e. added notes and chromatic phrasing, passing notes etc.

Tab it out? - Yikes - it'll take me a week! I'd have to disect the vid. I'll take a look at it with that in mind.

For all of these 'performance' vids I'm using my mac book with the built in isight camera and I'm editing with imovie.

I think Gregg is working on some jack straw instructional stuff I sent to him a week or 2 ago. That's done with a canon camcorder a bud lent me hooked up to my pc and edited with pinnacle studio. I send those to Gregg as huge files (4 are about 2.5 gigs) and he compresses them for the site.

Some of my earlier instructional stuff was done with the vid function on my panasonic digicam.

#28485  by Billbbill

shakedown_04092 wrote:Well, it WOULD be a great video, minus that UGLY shirt your wearing! :lol:
I knew it was just a matter of time before someone commented on that. :-)

#28487  by shakedown_04092

Haha...I had to, sorry. Great work on the Dire Wolf though. I've always had trouble w/ the Intro to it, and that alone has kept me away from this song, but now that I have you to watch, I'm gonna pick it up. Thanks very much for that!! Not the first time you've inspired me into a song!

And regarding the Yankees....not sure what to make of that team now. I think hiring Girardi was a good move - I don't think Pena or Mattingly were the men for the job. But now - no A-Rod (probably a good thing in the long run for you), and so many other questions - Posada, Rivera, Clemens, Mussina, Damon, Giambi....the team is in shambles, really. But you do have some decent young talent to work around, so not all is lost. As for the Sox, well, 2008 is looky mighty tasty, I'd say. Full line-up rearing to go and prospects knocking on the door. Wonder who we'll get in free agency? Hopefully they'll resign Lowell. I don't want A-Rod on our team. Especially after that incident in '04 when he knocked the ball out of Arroyo's glove. What a queer.

#28496  by steve

good job bill! i really like the video

everything sounds good. if you end up not tabbing out the solo, hmm, could you say the what you did around the -1:10 part. i really like that riff there.

#28511  by Billbbill

steve wrote:good job bill! i really like the video

everything sounds good. if you end up not tabbing out the solo, hmm, could you say the what you did around the -1:10 part. i really like that riff there.
Thanks steve, I'll check it out.

#28513  by Billbbill

shakedown_04092 wrote:Haha...I had to, sorry. Great work on the Dire Wolf though. I've always had trouble w/ the Intro to it, and that alone has kept me away from this song, but now that I have you to watch, I'm gonna pick it up. Thanks very much for that!! Not the first time you've inspired me into a song!

And regarding the Yankees....not sure what to make of that team now. I think hiring Girardi was a good move - I don't think Pena or Mattingly were the men for the job. But now - no A-Rod (probably a good thing in the long run for you), and so many other questions - Posada, Rivera, Clemens, Mussina, Damon, Giambi....the team is in shambles, really. But you do have some decent young talent to work around, so not all is lost. As for the Sox, well, 2008 is looky mighty tasty, I'd say. Full line-up rearing to go and prospects knocking on the door. Wonder who we'll get in free agency? Hopefully they'll resign Lowell. I don't want A-Rod on our team. Especially after that incident in '04 when he knocked the ball out of Arroyo's glove. What a queer.
The sox and their fans are having their place in the sun right now. More power to 'em. They've got a tremendous squad.

I, on the other hand, as a yanks fan, have washed my hands of b-ball for this year. I'm in full fledged hockey and football mode, although my rangers (up until last night anyway) can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn, and my jets suck.

#28518  by Henry

Congrats Bill, this is really nice! I've been trying myself for a long time to to find a decent arrangement to do acoustically. Your guitar work, especially on the solo, really sounds complete, that part is kind of tough when you are on your own since there are all those changes on the original. Don't worry about your singing, your voice is just perfect for the Jerry tunes.

#28544  by GratefulPat

bill, is that the chords that are tabbed in the dire wolf section here?

#28563  by Billbbill

GratefulPat wrote:bill, is that the chords that are tabbed in the dire wolf section here?
Yes although the site tab doesn't note the chords at the end which are a little different, I think.

The last verse is normal then the repeat of the end verse does the C-E7-Am pattern instead of the walk-up from C to F. Then the last line repeats.