#57902  by charliejam

Does it get any better than DP18 (2/5/78)? Get ready for lift off...wow
 #57906  by bodiddley

Of "Deal" ? Hell, there's tons 'o great versions. I like what they were doing with it in the late 80's. Try the Alpine version from 7-19-89 for starters.
 #57910  by Stevo123

I agree the DP18 version is smokin!! But I also really dig the early 70s versions because of Bobby's interesting playing. I think somewhere mid-70s he kinda reworked his part to be more subtle.
 #57936  by tigerstrat

bodiddley wrote:Of "Deal" ? Hell, there's tons 'o great versions. I like what they were doing with it in the late 80's. Try the Alpine version from 7-19-89 for starters.
Hard to argue with that monster. Downhill From Here, for the date-challenged.
 #146116  by oceanbear11

I haven't actually heard too many "Deal"s. . .That just occurred to me now. I suppose my favorite out of the ones I've heard would be 'Dead Set.'
 #146119  by James-T

If you like that DP 18 Deal, check the Deal out from New Haven a few weeks later DP 25. I've got both on my iPhone.

Those 70's Deals differed from the 80's version. Just a vocal jam at the end, but Garcia's solos over the verse structure were much longer and drawn out and that New Haven one, well glacier's solo is about 2 or 3 verses longer than the DP18 version. In the 80's he played a shorter solo and extended the jam.

A show I was at - Seattle 83 - that was a cooking Deal. :smile:

Peace,

James
 #146120  by Searing75

I like the one from the double disc Jerry band album. 89' or so. David
Kemper loses the beat a bit at one point, but Jerry is scorching!

Chris