#126  by TomW

Where to begin?

These boards are a great idea for this site. So much material to dispute it's good to organize it.

One suggestion is for everyone involved to have a basic version of the tune to #loosely# plan on, like... foxtrot '68? jazzy crystalline 73, oozy, gelatinous 72?

Just don't get too locked into any one riff or rhythm.
 #442  by Duaneonau

nicely said. I think it essential that you don't stick to a same bumlio but to listen to many different versions of the song and get the feel for it, then turn and expand it in your own way with relative but not over emphasized roots to the original desipher.
Dark star is a great great song and the jammin can go on forever, i think when attempting to play dark star with a band it will probably hold some of the basic riffs for a while then intime fold out a whole new different glob of creative personal flows and riffs which could be caputured by a recorder of some kind, and in time of playing it with acceptional musicians, using rememberence of previous jams of yourself (which originated from the original dark star), Dark Star can be taken to various depths of the universe alfoat the creativity of its listeners changing but not endangereing the original feel of the song.
Alot of grateful dead tunes are like that, giving you freedom to walk on or create new pathways to any destination. ultimately i think the jamming, if played continuosly with a group, could lead to great new songs with much creativitey.

tc

#557  by Ted

Check out Tom Constanten's solo piano Dark Star on his tape Fresh Tracks in Real Time- absolutely magnificent, such an integrated structural approach to the whole composition- no noodling there. Also a great Cold Rain and Snow. I'm tellin' you you ain't heard Dark Star 'til you heard tc do it! :shock:
 #1791  by qiuniu

TomW wrote: One suggestion is for everyone involved to have a basic version of the tune to #loosely# plan on, like... foxtrot '68? jazzy crystalline 73, oozy, gelatinous 72?
I would strongly suggest that (especially if you're submiting possible corrections) to list the show that you are listening to. Most of the tabs that are so graciously posted hear are from one source, for example TLEO is only the later version that doesn't have the bridge of the faster, earlier version.
 #59013  by EsteemedLocomotive

I like to play it really fast and sing it like the guy in the B-52's.... "daRk stAR CRA-SHES! Pou-ring it's LIGHT IN-TO Ash-ES! REAS-ON SHATTERS!" and so on. I usually warn people, by singing the first verse gently, with a "shall we go? you and I while we can....get out while you still can..." and then murder the tune! Sure it alienates a few deadheads, but why take it so serious? Besides i don't feel I could do a serious interpretetion justice. :D