#17299  by xero92

Jamming along to version of Dark Star i have noticed that its sounds good to play in both Aminor Pentatonic and Eminor Pentatonic (excluding all the major and modal tendencies that elaborate the jamming). Aminor is the more comfortable key obviously, but Eminor seems to me to flow quite well, at least in parts. Any idea how it is that both pentatonics seem to fit? as of yet i know very little about how to play actual parts of the song (although i do intend to learn).

Luke

#17301  by Rev_Roach

You can see the connection if you just spell out the scales you mentioned and the chords of the song.

A minor pentatonic: A C D E G
E minor pentatonic: E G A B D

A: A C# E
G: G B D

Notice how the scales differ by only one note (C vs B) and that the notes from the chords are all within the listed scales except for the flatted third C instead of C#.

#17306  by BlobWeird

I prefer to use A major pentatonics instead of minor if I were to use pentatonics but I like to elaborate and use A mixolydian. And as for E minor pentatonics I elaborate on that and get E dorian which is the same as A mixolydian.

#17313  by shakedown_04092

What he ^^^^^ said :cool:

EDIT: Which means the song is in the Key of D
Last edited by shakedown_04092 on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

#17314  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I think looking at the entire song in A Mixolydian is the way to go. What the song shifts to an E minor sound, as in Phil rooting it with E, the notes are the same as E Dorian is the same thing as A Mixo.