#8226  by abspatz

help on the way! this is about my favorite song and i want to find a smokin version from the late 70s but am having a difficult time. any advice? thanks in advance!

(wow....this is the 1st time i've been on the site in a month or so and it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to post to this damn song with the new format! right on, though.) :lol:

#8230  by wisedyes

Buffalo, NY, 5-9-1977. Absolutely killer version from an absolutely killer show in the midst of a killer run of killer shows.

#8232  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

That Buffalo version is indeed phenomenal. Can't go wrong there. Sometimes I listen to that show and think it is the better show between that and Barton Hall. Barton Hall is insane but doesn't get into that dark, evil, trip to the nether regions of your soul vibe that Buffalo does. I seem to recall Raceway Park, Englishtown NJ '77 has a similar evil vibe and absolutely earth shattering Slipknot as well but I can't find it on the archive.

#8234  by Trystine

Are you looking for versions of Help On The Way or Cumberland Blues? I think the above posts are talking about HOTW but your post is in the Cumberland Blues Forum.

#8236  by Billbbill

'tis a bit confusing, is it not? Though I would guess 'help on the way' is more a hopeful phrase than an identifying one.

#8249  by tigerstrat

I think I've discovered your difficulty here... there are NO late 70's Cumbys! (Cumby dammit) there is a gap of 394 shows between 10/18/74 and 8/27/81... and fwiw no Cumbys and Helps played at the same show until 10/12/83 :lol:

That said, these are all VERY Cumberrific:

9/11/81
10/6/81
10/8/81
10/12/81 (wild show!)
5/22/82
4/20/83

#8250  by Billbbill

OK. After checking out that setlist from 5/9/77 wisedyes definitely thinks abspatz is talking about HOTW.

Paging abspatz!

Clarification required!

#8251  by Trystine

Tigerstrat you have way too much time on your hands!
(actually, I researched it too but i was afraid to admit it) :oops:

#8252  by tigerstrat

Trystine wrote:Tigerstrat you have way too much time on your hands!
(actually, I researched it too but i was afraid to admit it) :oops:
my well-thumbed copy of DB6 sits in my desk just waiting for questions like that. I wonder why all the editions didn't include the "Every Time Played" section? It's pretty handy.

If this question is really about Help On The Way>Slipknot!, and is just misplaced, then go directly to:

4/26/83
4/12/83
4/9/83
6/28/83
9/11/83
9/2/83
6/24/83

I just think most of these are better than most of the 76 and 77 versions (with the exceptions of 5/22/77 and 9/24/76- YOW!!)

#8349  by abspatz

sorry folks! i've been in the mountains for the past few days and haven't been able to respond to this. 'help on the way' was just me pleading to the rest of us on here for a little direction. sorry for the confusion. my song is cumberland....and i think that tigerstrat hit my problem on the head--no shows in the late 70's with this. how could they do that to me?

--Andrew
 #63439  by zbipod

Hey, here's a question for you folks. I just listened to Cumberland Blues from Working Man's Dead per someones advice.

Who's playing that banjo? JG?

Tks.
 #63440  by tigerstrat

zbipod wrote:Hey, here's a question for you folks. I just listened to Cumberland Blues from Working Man's Dead per someones advice.

Who's playing that banjo? JG?

Tks.
There is no banjo credited on the album- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workingman%27s_Dead
 #63452  by Pete B.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-05- ... sbeok.shnf

Since this Help/Slip is mentioned, I'd point out the cool Jerry descending run at ~11:55 of Help OTW, at the end of the Am jam where they turn it around on a D7.
Also, after the 1st min or so of the Am lick with drums in between, this "Slipknot" shows the album version of that Am lick, into the "double" ascending diminshed run, leading to the whip.
I only mention the double ascending dim part before the whip because I often get folks telling me they don't hear the double dim run, only the single dim run.
They do both in this version.
Last edited by Pete B. on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #63459  by Tennessee Jedi

Pete B. wrote:http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-05- ... sbeok.shnf

Since this Help/Slip is mentioned, I'd point out the cool Jerry descending run at ~11:55 of Help OTW, at the end of the Am jam where they turn it around on a D7.
Also the 1st min or so of Slipknot shows the album version of that Am lick, and also has the double diminshed run leading to the whip, instead of the single dim run leading to the whip.
Yo Banjo man
was that Jerry playing banjo ?
I can never tell with those things.
Like the solo on Box of Rain aint Jerry ( doesnt really sound like him but i just assumed )
and the pedal steel parts on Pride of Cucamonga aint Jerry either ...
:?: