Ao7

#10889  by carlyle006

what is Ao7 ??? what is that even called? and can someone tab it out for me? many thanks...

#10897  by strumminsix

Correct, A diminished 7th.

#10902  by carlyle006

thanks!
 #53333  by GratefulPat

god, i just tried this song out for the first time and dear lord is it hard..... help :roll:
 #53334  by CaptainTrips

Its such a beautiful song once you get it though. If it takes you three years to master . . . . its well worth it.

Also . . . . I never really play that Ao7 . . . . . I play it more like this

x
x

Not to say thats right . . . . or proper . . . . or even sounds good. But it works for me. I do the same thing with the diminished A chord in Deal.
 #53341  by GratefulPat

i do it the same way i play it in deal as well
 #53345  by amyjared

god, i just tried this song out for the first time and dear lord is it hard..... help
What is giving you trouble? Is it remembering the progression or the timing or the chord voicings? I love this song and really enjoy playing it as it uses some chords that I rarely get to play and it makes me look like a better guitarist than I really am 8) So, let us know in what way you need help. Also, someone sent me a really nice lead tab to this and if you're interested, let me know and I'll post it, if it's not up already.
 #53360  by GratefulPat

ya i saw the lead tab, the lead is simple its just the timing with singing... the Gsus4 picking is getting me as well as timing the last line of the verse with the Dmaj7 Dbmaj7 Dm7... or however that part goes, ive put about 30 min into learning it and most songs i just fly through but not this one
 #53366  by CaptainTrips

Ugh, I know what you mean. That walkdown from Dmaj7 is really tough. Id have to give it a few goes before I could say that I could play it again.

The Gsus4 thing I kind of toggle with the rhythm. Its really hard to explain. Im at work right now . . . . later Ill try to see if I can tab out how I do it with the beats.

Also . . . Id love to see the tab for the solo . . . . where is that at?
 #53387  by wisedyes

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, and it is an incredibly useful guitar trick kind of thing to know, any of the diminished chord shapes on any string set can be moved up a minor third ( three frets ), and you will get the SAME FOUR NOTES, and thus, the same chord.

Same thing with diminished scale riffs. This is what a large part of "Slipknot!" is based on.
 #53418  by Emoto

Dug out my cheat sheet and here is the area I think you're talking about:

(the chords all slide over to the left when I cut and paste, but you get the idea)

Fm Ab Eb
Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know,
Fm Ab Eb Cm/G G7
See how it feels in the end.
Ab Ao7 Ebmaj7
May Lady Lullaby sing plainly for you
Dmaj7 Dbmaj7 Db7 Dbmaj7 Gsus4 G
Soft, strong, sweet and true.

The way I am playing it may be wrong, but try it and see what you think. I am playing the Ab like this:

E|-----4--------
B|-----4--------
G|-----5---------
D|-----6---------
A|---------------
E|---------------

Which makes it easy to change to this, which is what I am using for the Ao7. I have absolutely no idea if it is correct or not, but it sounds ok to my ear. Maybe someone else can offer something that works better?

E|-----5--------
B|-----4--------
G|-----5---------
D|-----4---------
A|---------------
E|---------------
 #53420  by bucketorain

i was tinkering with this and from Ab I then played Abm, sounded ok, and was easier than going to Ao7
 #53436  by Emoto

bucketorain wrote:i was tinkering with this and from Ab I then played Abm, sounded ok, and was easier than going to Ao7
Did you try the fingering I posted above?
 #53438  by bucketorain

Emoto wrote:
bucketorain wrote:i was tinkering with this and from Ab I then played Abm, sounded ok, and was easier than going to Ao7
Did you try the fingering I posted above?
I sure did, I feel the Abm sounds smoother, but your tab helps for sure.