#143464  by softmachine72

If I pre amp mod my fender will it keep the amp from being used as a power amp? Also when I get the new 2100 amp should I change all the output transistors and are there any caps or resistors I should change as a matter of course?
Last edited by softmachine72 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #143465  by hippieguy1954

Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by "ass the preamp taps"?

In the mean time, there is also a lot of good info here:
forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=10215&hilit=mc2100+repair

Ultimately I only disabled the sentry monitor and replaced all the electrolytic capacitors and any resistors that had drifted out of spec. on the input board and the output cards. I didn't find any resistors out of spec on the input board and only a couple on the output cards, but replaced all the electrolytic caps on both.

WARNING: FOLLOW PROPER PROCEDURE FOR DISCHARGING CAPACITORS OR ELECTRIC SHOCK CAUSING INJURY OR DEATH CAN OCCUR
 #143470  by TI4-1009

Still not clear. The 2100 (like most of the Macs we talk about here) is a power amp only. It has no preamp, the inputs to the amp are fed from a seperate preamp (Fender, SMS, or....)
 #143471  by zambiland

I think he meant the Fender amp, as in does using the preamp outs break the circuit rendering the power section of the Fender combo unusable. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense. And the answer to that is, not necessarily. It can be wired so that both options are available pretty easily.