#158662  by nuthatchwinters

hello all. long time observer of forum but brand new to posting. just left my sg with local guitar tech with good reputation for pick ups, (dimarzios, routing out middle position) , buffer, and obel installation and have to admit am extremely nervous. Had the guitar for 30 years, basically all I've ever played. from reading posts it seems like its a pretty straight forward job if you follow proper schematics. my question being, should I have sought out someone very familiar with the tiger modificaions or is this a job your local guitar tech can handle following the well documented schematics? just have a bad case of the nerves handing it over to someone who I'm pretty sure has never done this particular work before. thanks
 #158663  by TeeJay

You should be fine with an experienced tech. The SG has some challenges but it should be cool. I just did a Guild SG and it turned out great and I am just Busch League so any pro should knock it out of the park.
 #158666  by augustwest1

I wouldn't worry about it either, but if you are going to be using it with a junction box, I'd suggest bringing the box to your guitar tech so he can make sure that it is compatible with how the obel switch has been wired.

Surprisingly -- given that I've seen no discussion of the issue anywhere on this board -- there is a basic inconsistency in how commonly-used junction boxes are wired. Some are compatible with Waldo's schematic. Others are not. I bought a box a few years ago that was not. Waldo tells me HubBub boxes also will not work with his schematic, and at least one person who has a box from AO guitars says the same thing about it. Brian at IO guitars has told me his are consistent with Waldo's schematic. Go figure.

Solving the problem is a simple matter of reversing 2 wires, but who wants to deal with doing that if it can be avoided...
 #158667  by tnt1234

huh - I've used AOs boxes with Waldo's scheme and they've worked for me. Wonder what causes the inconsistency with some boxes.
 #158668  by nuthatchwinters

thank you as well augustwest. funny you mention that, I just ran that issue by the tech a few days ago and he indicated no junction box will be needed. I am assuming it will just require the right stereo cable to the effects chain? I don't know, I'm clueless with all this but I could sit here and read about it all day, which I do sometimes. thank you for the insight.
 #158669  by tnt1234

nuthatchwinters wrote:thank you as well augustwest. funny you mention that, I just ran that issue by the tech a few days ago and he indicated no junction box will be needed. I am assuming it will just require the right stereo cable to the effects chain? I don't know, I'm clueless with all this but I could sit here and read about it all day, which I do sometimes. thank you for the insight.
if you don't use a junction box, you will need a 'y' cable adaptor to split the stereo cable signal at the non-guitar end.
 #158673  by augustwest1

Wonder what causes the inconsistency with some boxes
Some are just wired to work with guitars that wired opposite of Waldo's schematic. And it isn't just boxes. I've bought two OBEL-equipped guitars from well-known builders over the years, and neither of them were consistent with Waldo's schematic (and neither was my box, so it all worked fine).

So I suppose the real "cause" of the inconsistency is that there is no actual consensus on how these things should be wired.
 #158676  by TI4-1009

tnt1234 wrote:huh - I've used AOs boxes with Waldo's scheme and they've worked for me. Wonder what causes the inconsistency with some boxes.
Same here.
 #158678  by augustwest1

tnt1234 wrote:
huh - I've used AOs boxes with Waldo's scheme and they've worked for me. Wonder what causes the inconsistency with some boxes.

Same here
All I know is I sent someone a guitar which I know for a fact was not wired according to Waldo's schematic, and he said it worked with both his HubBub and his AO box -- and there's only one explanation for that. But who knows, maybe it was wired that way by design. After all, it worked for him...

In any event, I didn't mean to disparage AO in any way. (If my Moriarty Wolf was wired "backwards," I'd say anybody wiring guitars or boxes in that way is in pretty respectable company.)
 #158679  by milobender

Tip SEND; Ring RETURN. The 'Wald' schematic. That's all there is to it. Tip send, ring return just makes sense to me. However, I have dealt with the reverse wiring on several occasions. I like to do it the way it makes sense to me. The tip sending holds true for both the OBEL jack and the Signal Send jack.
 #158682  by hippieguy1954

milobender wrote:Tip SEND; Ring RETURN. The 'Wald' schematic. That's all there is to it. Tip send, ring return just makes sense to me. However, I have dealt with the reverse wiring on several occasions. I like to do it the way it makes sense to me. The tip sending holds true for both the OBEL jack and the Signal Send jack.
+1 Exactly!
 #158683  by augustwest1

milobender wrote:
Tip SEND; Ring RETURN. The 'Wald' schematic.
Sounds good to me! Whose gonna print up the bumper stickers?