rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#153389  by chirills
 Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:39 pm
Hi,
Wondering if anyone here could help me with adding a volume pot to an original big box silver Q tron? I've found some hints online for the other versions, but not really anything that helps me. I can solder and drill, but not really good at schematics.
Thanks
 #153395  by lovetoboogie
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:48 am
You can take the hot signal from the output jack and put a 100k pot right there. It would end up being a output level control or "volume" depending on semantics. I believe there is a "direct out" on those first gen Q-Trons so not sure of the matrix between that and the output jack.
 #153403  by chirills
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:40 am
Thanks for the reply. Would that affect the bypassed volume also? There's 2 jacks, an effect out and a direct out. Im trying to learn all this as Im doing it.
 #153408  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:26 am
Just curious, what is the purpose of a volume control on the Qtron?
 #153410  by chirills
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am
hippieguy1954 wrote:Just curious, what is the purpose of a volume control on the Qtron?
There's a nasty volume spike when your amp is loud. Ive been using a vfe mini mu and it has a master volume on it which I enjoy. Trouble is I like the q tron better.
 #153413  by hippieguy1954
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:52 pm
Just a couple more questions:
What is your signal chain and where do you have the Q?
What are your Q settings?
 #153416  by chirills
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:01 pm
hippieguy1954 wrote:Just a couple more questions:
What is your signal chain and where do you have the Q?
What are your Q settings?
Wah>envelope >compressor>bunch of stuff. Haven't used the Q since I got the mini mu. Problem with all the envelopes I've been thru is the sensitivity being tied to the output volume. The Q sensitivity is independent of the overall volume, which is good when playing my strat. Problem is tree output volume is too high/hot.
 #153417  by Ebearius
 Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:31 pm
Just use a volume pedal after the Q-tron. Leave the guitar volume all the way up and adjust volume with the pedal when you use the envelope filter.
 #153418  by hippieguy1954
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:02 am
The volume pedal or the pot will work, but I don't understand why there is a nasty volume spike. I have not encountered that problem with any EF that could not be alleviated with the EF settings or with a slight adjustment of the guitar volume knob.
 #153423  by myoung6923
 Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:26 pm
I've been using a Q Tron at the beginning of my chain for years and love it. I had another one that has a mix knob modded by Analogman. But, I like the original Q Tron the best. I've noticed differences between 2 identical Q Trons - I think that sometimes that calibrations might be slightly different.

I don't have any problem with volume spikes or clipping at all. I have the whole OBEL system, so the effects are always getting a constant input voltage at 100% of the pickup volume no matter where the guitar's volume is at.

How are you running your guitar into it and what's your guitar's volume set at?
 #153439  by chirills
 Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:37 pm
The obel setup is nice. I don't fuss much with the volume, leave it up most of the time. I don't have room for a volume, the qtron takes up quite a bit of space on its own. The output volume on mine is definitely hotter. Always been like that. I just want to turn it down a little bit. When playing soft its not so noticeable, but when I dig in or hit chords, its just a touch too much. I know that's the nature of the filter, I would just like a little more control over it.
 #153443  by waldo041
 Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:22 pm
what amp are you using?

~waldo
 #153446  by chirills
 Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:55 pm
waldo041 wrote:what amp are you using?

~waldo
A cranked hot rod deluxe... sometimes a twin reverb 2. Both are pretty loud. Hence my desire for a volume on the filter.
 #153459  by chirills
 Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:52 pm
lovetoboogie wrote:You can take the hot signal from the output jack and put a 100k pot right there. It would end up being a output level control or "volume" depending on semantics. I believe there is a "direct out" on those first gen Q-Trons so not sure of the matrix between that and the output jack.
This works, mostly. I researched some more and was able to tie into the effect out and it works like a charm. Only the effect out is tapered, dry is full. Thanks.