#151433  by skajellafetty

Howdy folks... Well I've done tons of searching on here & sorry if I missed it, & found some info here & there about tone from different scale lengths but I can't find a dedicated thread on just this question: If you want your first true "Jerry guitar" with Tiger tone, but could not afford to get a good n proper Tiger clone, nor find many 25.5" set-neck / neck-thru, what would you prioritize?

Lets say neck / body woods are no problem as well as pickup locations / options, and you absolutely must choose a compromise on either construction or scale... would you rather have a strat scale bolt-on at 25.5"? Or a neck-thru (or set-neck) at 25"? I understand there's a lot more to it... but just on this issue, what would ya choose?
:cheers:
Last edited by skajellafetty on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #151440  by skajellafetty

ok that's what I was thinking, but now let me be TOTALLY honest... I'm still unsure if I want a dedicated Tiger type or Tiger / Wolf hybrid! :roll:

I'm prob doing another Kiesel (Carvin) build, & regardless will have walnut body, maple neck (or maybe 5-piece maple/walnut or maple/purpleheart) & have middle sc routed. I WAS thinking a hybrid with 25" neckthru (Wolf scale) or set neck with dual sound in bridge, a Scott Walker split SDII sc in middle (it's been ordered), & either SDS-1 in neck (order it as HSS) or another SDII (HSH), or maybe even a Lollar P-90. But now I'm not sure... a dedicated Tiger now & later on a Wolf is prob best.

I don't see many 25.5" set neck or neck thru. However they do have one 25.5" neck thru now but costs a bit more, it's some metal dudes signature model (the LPM6), & I don't have to get his corny inlay. It includes graphtech piezo saddles & 2nd output which is great for a later era modern Jerry (I have em on my current Carvin & they're nice). But for them to add middle pu on that sig model will void my 10-day trial & cost $120 (vs $75). I'm not totally stuck on a Kiesel, but they've really stepped it up big time over last couple of years & the options man... the options!

I know I'm ramblin' but actually I'd like ask if I may: on my current Carvin SH65 (think thinline semi-hollow tele shape but 25" scale 24 fret walnut neckthru with alder wings & midi & piezo) here's mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/69141893@ ... 4515022247 it's HH, how close would putting SD's or SDII's with inside coil splits get me? I want to replace the pu's in it & not sure... try super 1's or 2's or perhaps go for another Jerry option ala Bean HB. Or just some other direction. It's fun geekin out pondering! I'm open to ye wise suggestions, pu choices, etc.
 #151446  by gr8fullfred

I think that the best bet for a low cost Jerry guitar is to start with an Ibanez Musician. The Musician has 1)Neck thru 2) correct scale length 3)Very nice overall construction. 4) Similar to Wolf body style, but not exact.

You can pick up an Ibanez Musician for $700 to $800 do some modification (pickups, pickup plate, buffer, effects loop) and have what I think is a very close to Tiger guitar for relatively low cost. The are other ways to go, but the Ibanez Musician is a pretty good starting point. Just My .02!
 #151448  by skajellafetty

gr8fullfred wrote:I think that the best bet for a low cost Jerry guitar is to start with an Ibanez Musician.
Love the Reconstruction stuff. Classic. Considered those or saving for a new 2619 artist. But already have a HH. Also I've now decided while I prefer authentic looks/models as a bonus, comfort and basic ability to get his tone should probably win the day. Longevity for practice sessions is also key. So now today seriously considering Aries A6 (strat scale Bolt-on) for sheer comfort with that insane bevel (as I'm getting older with very painful joints / psoriatic arthritis in wrist and fingers) even tho it looks like a modern metal aggressive dwarven battle axe! which to me is cool too... And I don't mind rockin the cosmetic boat. But that bevel... Wow... and how your arm lays across it...looks odd but like most comfy guitar which is appealing and reviews seem to confirm this. It's really growing on me! Plus all those build options are nice. :cool:
 #151453  by skajellafetty

gratefulredhead wrote:+1 for the Ibanez Musician. Mine has been my main axe for 30 years and I have never loved another guitar as much as this one. Especially after I modified the electronics. It's a beauty.
Did you route out for a middle pu? Or using it as HH?
 #151454  by gratefulredhead

skajellafetty wrote:
gratefulredhead wrote:+1 for the Ibanez Musician. Mine has been my main axe for 30 years and I have never loved another guitar as much as this one. Especially after I modified the electronics. It's a beauty.
Yeah, I routed it out and had a guy make a brass pickup ring with 3 Humbucker slots. Fits perfectly. The neck pickup sounds best with the hot coil closer to the bridge. That's just where the sweet spot is. If you are interested I can load up some photos.
 #151455  by skajellafetty

gratefulredhead wrote:
skajellafetty wrote:
Yeah, I routed it out and had a guy make a brass pickup ring with 3 Humbucker slots. Fits perfectly. The neck pickup sounds best with the hot coil closer to the bridge. That's just where the sweet spot is. If you are interested I can load up some photos.
Ah ok I see. I bet that's sweet. Are they all super 2's? I'm hoping to avoid having routing done, and right now I have a split super 2 (as a sc size) ordered and on the way, so potentially any 25.5" scale HSH will work for my shows at Madison Square Bedroom
 #151461  by gratefulredhead

[/quote]

Ah ok I see. I bet that's sweet. Are they all super 2's? I'm hoping to avoid having routing done, and right now I have a split super 2 (as a sc size) ordered and on the way, so potentially any 25.5" scale HSH will work for my shows at Madison Square Bedroom[/quote]

My neck pick up is a Di Marzio Blues Bucker (very SC like in split mode- warm but never muddy) then the middle and bridge are 1979 Super Distortions that I pulled out of an old Gretsh BST1500 that I had laying around. I have them all set up with 3 way toggle for seriesHB/parallelHB/split coil, I have a 6 position rotary switch to get every possible p/u combo, master volume, master tone (with pull pot to bypass OBEL), buffer and Alembic Blaster post volume. (buffer is always on- blaster has an on/off so I can use it as a boost or leave it on to get late Wolf tones).

These guitars came with a half brass/half bone nut- and the bridge has brass saddles (not sure if the saddles were stock on all of them). Here are some pics. Obviously I am still smitten with this axe after 30 years- I could go on and on. :-)

Anyhow here's a link to a dropbox folder with pics in it. (I couldn't seem to attach them to this post). https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t43cfk3ej0hi ... 09Lza?dl=0

Best of luck in your searching! If I run across a Musician for sale I'll give you a heads up!