#151110  by gratefulredhead

Hey everyone, I wanted to share this. I picked up a beautiful 1979 Washburn Falcon the other day. Neck through body, solid ash with a carved rosewood top. 5 piece rock maple and rosewood neck. It has a brass nut, brass saddles, humbucker pickups (with coil taps) that are very Super Distortion like- (Washburn power sustain- possibly made by Dimarzio, as they look just like a Dimarzio). It has great tone, neck feel...it plays a lot like my 78 Ibanez Musician, which is also a very Jerry guitar. The Ibanez' go for around $1,000 however and if you look around a Falcon can be had for under $400. They only made them for a couple of years- (79 to 85 maybe?)

Heres a link to a catalog pic of one.
http://www.matsumoku.org/models/washbur ... d.jpg.html

Anyhow, it's a great inexpensive way to get an axe that has some of the basic build qualities you'd want in a Jerry guitar. Just need to customize the electronics and maybe change pickups.
Last edited by gratefulredhead on Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #151114  by tigerstrat

The address on that catalog is literally across the street from where I went to middle school. This must have been their location before they moved to Vernon Hills.
 #151130  by tigerstrat

It looks a whole lot like the Hamer Special Chaparral that Martin Barre used to play.
 #151131  by gratefulredhead

The more I play it- I LOVE the feel. It has sustain for days! I think the pick ups are good, just not appropriate for Garcia sounds.Too midrangey. Not enough sparkle. I am going to give this one the treatment- buffer, and better pups.
 #151140  by kurt eye

Its pretty neat that it came with a stock brass nut and saddles.