rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #150124  by jalevinemd
 Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 am
I've got a modified Resurrection Lightning Bolt replica. I say modified because I had similar elements of Jerry's other guitars that I wanted to incorporate as well. I had it made a little more than 10 years ago. It's actually the guitar in my avatar. Tim, Pat's son, did most of the construction as I recall. He's no longer building guitars with his dad, though. I have had no issues whatsoever with it for as long as I've owned it. Great craftsmanship, sound and playability. If I were ever in the market for another Cripe replica, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call again.

The Alembics are a whole other level all together, though. I've got 4 with the fifth nearing completion. It's the only guitar I play now. As far as versatility of sound, I've never owned a guitar that comes close. In my experience the build quality is unmatched by any other luthier building in the "hippie sandwich" vein. I've also done builds with Leo at SFG and Scott Walker, both of whom are excellent craftsmen, who I can't say enough good things about, but an Alembic is an Alembic.

If you're ever in the Chicago area, feel free to drop by and give any of them a spin.

Here's a picture of the Bolt right before they shipped it to me:

Image
 #150135  by slatelacy
 Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:12 pm
Thats a beauty! I had an interesting opportunity come up and ended up buying a 2003 TopHat replica through Ebay, apparently from Bob Weir himself. I found that hard to believe, but after spending about an hour on the phone with a close friend who handles most of his Midwest business, it seems to be legit. Either way, I feel like I got a good deal on a well built guitar. The Weir connection makes for a good story!
 #150136  by zambiland
 Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:22 pm
slatelacy wrote:Thats a beauty! I had an interesting opportunity come up and ended up buying a 2003 TopHat replica through Ebay, apparently from Bob Weir himself. I found that hard to believe, but after spending about an hour on the phone with a close friend who handles most of his Midwest business, it seems to be legit. Either way, I feel like I got a good deal on a well built guitar. The Weir connection makes for a good story!
Pics? Great story!
 #150139  by jalevinemd
 Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:10 pm
slatelacy wrote:Thats a beauty! I had an interesting opportunity come up and ended up buying a 2003 TopHat replica through Ebay, apparently from Bob Weir himself. I found that hard to believe, but after spending about an hour on the phone with a close friend who handles most of his Midwest business, it seems to be legit. Either way, I feel like I got a good deal on a well built guitar. The Weir connection makes for a good story!
I remember that one from eBay. Great looking guitar. It was on Resurrection's old web site - back when they used to have one. Unless something's happened since it was built, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with it. Congrats!
 #150147  by keirweir
 Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 am
Your Alembic sounds really good.

I've owned my Resurrection Eagle for 5 or 6 years now as my main guitar and have had my share of wins and losses with it.

The guitar has had no major flaws, its always been playable, intonation was fine, it sounds and plays great. When I received the guitar I requested a new cavity cover plate because the one it came with didn't work for me. I wound up having Shark Inlay send Resurrection a new inlay and Pat sent me the new on no issues.

Shark Inlay on left
Image

The bridge looked a little off (it still does to me) but I sent it to AO Guitars and he re-set the PU ring as it was slightly at an angle and added to an offset appearance.

About 3 years ago I started getting a show stopping feedback squeal when I engaged an overdrive pedal. As it turned out the PU height adjustment needed to be replaced from spring to rubber (if I remember correctly) and then I had it completely rewired to Rosebud specs by AO Guitars. I also had the stop tail replaced to something with less moving parts. I didn't like the fine tuning stop tail.

All in all its been a great guitar I really love it but it certainly did not come cheap and hasn't been cheap to maintain. I was lucky to escape with no major flaws and I've grown accustom to playing it.

Image
Image
 #150438  by NIGHTCASTERS
 Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:57 pm
yes I have two! I took my Real Cripe to him and he made an EXACT replica... Also had him make me the worlds finest strat....

Also have a Alembic further.. great playing , but the sound is not right... crackly... A shame.
 #150479  by jalevinemd
 Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 pm
NIGHTCASTERS wrote:yes I have two! I took my Real Cripe to him and he made an EXACT replica... Also had him make me the worlds finest strat....

Also have a Alembic further.. great playing , but the sound is not right... crackly... A shame.

Curious to know what you mean by the Further sounding "crackly?"
 #150484  by Searing75
 Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:23 am
keirweir wrote:Your Alembic sounds really good.

I've owned my Resurrection Eagle for 5 or 6 years now as my main guitar and have had my share of wins and losses with it.

The guitar has had no major flaws, its always been playable, intonation was fine, it sounds and plays great. When I received the guitar I requested a new cavity cover plate because the one it came with didn't work for me. I wound up having Shark Inlay send Resurrection a new inlay and Pat sent me the new on no issues.

Shark Inlay on left
Image

The bridge looked a little off (it still does to me) but I sent it to AO Guitars and he re-set the PU ring as it was slightly at an angle and added to an offset appearance

About 3 years ago I started getting a show stopping feedback squeal when I engaged an overdrive pedal. As it turned out the PU height adjustment needed to be replaced from spring to rubber (if I remember correctly) and then I had it completely rewired to Rosebud specs by AO Guitars. I also had the stop tail replaced to something with less moving parts. I didn't like the fine tuning stop tail.

All in all its been a great guitar I really love it but it certainly did not come cheap and hasn't been cheap to maintain. I was lucky to escape with no major flaws and I've grown accustom to playing it.

Image
Image
The bridge is intentionally set at an angle. It's for proper intonation purposes.
 #150489  by playingdead
 Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:51 am
Those harmonica bridges should have enough adjustment range to properly intonate the guitar without having to offset the bridge, as on the real Tiger, much like a tremolo bridge is not offset, it just has a greater adjustment range.

Placing the bridge at the correct spot is such a basic premise of guitar building it still amazes me that they got it wrong on my guitar, and others. I tried everything possible -- reversing the saddles, changing the bridge to one with a greater adjustment range, and still could not get the guitar to intonate on the low E string, which is why Gary Brawer drilled it and inserted the ebony plugs to remount the bridge.

Here's Pat himself ... LOL ... no comment.

Image
 #150491  by TI4-1009
 Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:19 am
Hmmm... I see what you mean. Clearly the wrong hammer for that job.
 #150495  by myoung6923
 Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 am
I seem to remember Kier's bridge sort of shifted to one side - as in, not in a straight line with the nut and stop tail and that it was moved to fix it. I bought a Resurrection Bolt "used". It actually hadn't even been used - they guy listed it for sale before he even received it. It shipped to him and then directly to me.

Mine was pretty much unplayable when I got it. The frets hadn't been finished and were sharp and slightly sticking out of the neck. The pre-amp (a CAE sound) was blown and the electronics weren't even working correctly. I fixed all of these things and played it for a few years. It was decent but for the price tag the defects were just bewildering. How they would even send it out like that is beyond me. It seems that most people that I've talked to had similar issues.

In the end, I didn't like the feel of the neck and the high E was too close to the end of the fret and would roll off. I much preferred my PRS and ended up completely Jerrifying a Custom 24 and a P24 limited edition. The Custom 24 is my preferred guitar and the "P24" is a crazy good backup.
 #151167  by gratefulredhead
 Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:44 am
I have to say- I don't hear the thing you're hearing with the Alembic. It sounds good to my ears. Although the reverb is a bit heavy so I can't get a fully accurate read on the guitar's tone. Sounds like you have quite a collection!

I've been playing the same 78 Ibanez MC200 for 30 years. Full late Wolf/Tiger mods along the way. I can't imagine what it's like to have a stable like yours to choose from. And I play guitar for a living. Funny irony that- most working musicians have no money for the gear. :|

If you decide to give the Alembic to charity, drop me a line! :)