#148438  by Searing75

The guitar is gorgeous. Nice work man! Where did you get the covered super II's?
 #148439  by ac4468

DiMarzio makes them all though they're not that common. Found them on eBay from "banjomikez" who is an authorized DiMarzio dealer.
 #148460  by tnt1234

Wow - looks great! And so fast....

The rattle can lacquer - did you wet sand, or just buff?
 #148466  by ac4468

I did the following.
2 coats of shellac, sand to bare wood.
2 more coats of shellac and sand until no pores showing.
3 light coats of lacquer about an hour appart. Light sand the following day.
3 normal coats of lacquer and light sand again
3 final coats. After 4 days I wet sanded to 1500 then rubbing compound, polishing compound and swirl remover. In the future Ill use a clear wood filler rather than the shellac as a filler.

I'll compound again and polish in a month or so. I am set up to spray lacquer but the shop was in disarray so I did the Watco. I was quite surprised at how well it sprayed and sanded without gumming up after only 2 days of curing. In the future I would probably wait a month before rubbing out the final topcoat. The light sanding between sets of coats definitely seemed to speed up the curing. After 4 days I smell absolutely no lacquer. This guitar was prototype for a series of guitars so I was a bit impatient and wanted to get it assembled an tested out. In the future I'll spray either a Target waterbourne lacquer or ML Campbell.
 #149161  by tnt1234

dry sand between those first sets?

I'll say it again, that guitar is gorgeous. Really great work.
 #149196  by ac4468

Yes dry between those coats. Didn't do any whet until after all the lacquer was sprayed. Very little sanding at all until the end. Just enough to remove any flaws or dust nibs. Thanks for the comments! I have 3 guitars in the works now that will be for sale. As they would be my first for sale they would be significantly discounted so I can get a few in the field and get feedback and some exposure. Have one that is Wenge, another Walnut and another Lacewood if anyone is interested.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/114139893@N07/?