#144635  by TI4-1009

That's what Ibanez used to call them?!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1540275

There was a poster here not long ago who claimed the opposite- that you needed the wood between the pickups to "stop the magnetic field".
 #144637  by williamsaut

I think that the idea that a 1/4" thick piece of wood between two pickups has any effect on the interaction of the magnetic fields between those two pickups was put to bed in that very post your talking about never mind whether said interaction would be detrimental to "good" sound. I'd say that the swimming pool's tendency to mimic some of the weight reducing chambers found in exotic wood semi solid electric guitars would be more at the root of any perceived sustain or resonance benefits. IMO of course.
 #144640  by tatittle

Reminds me of the adage re: making lemonade when one is served lemons. I like my swim route bodies just as much as vintage route I think; but I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to suggest it is a tone chamber! There is no top vibration (like acoustic guitars/vioins) as happens with semi-hollow jazz boxes, unless the plastic pickguard is complimenting the tone lol.