#144458  by Poor Peter

Howdy All, My brother is doing his first build of a Jerry inspired guitar for me and he is at the point where we need to decide on a bridge. Theres a lot of options out there and I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions as to what they have used or what they like and dislike. Money isn't a huge consideration but it does play into our decision to some extent. I'm leaning towards the one in the link I provided. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par ... ridge.html
 #144459  by Searing75

Kluson Harmaonica Bridge! Hands down the best!
 #144460  by tatittle

I think the bridge you linked to comes in a version which allows either string thru or top loading (6 holes in bottom in addition to side), at least that's what I remember when I was researching it a year or so ago. That's what I might get just for versatility. Its a good quality bridge that guys here like. The strat type guitar I assembled with it ended up having the neck line up a bit off from the bridge mount so that I wanted to push the extremes of the adjustable saddles in order for the strings to be uniform across the fretboard; this led to the low E string being liable to pop off the saddle (because of the queer angle) when I played hard. This wouldn't have been a problem with a better matched neck/body though.
 #144461  by TI4-1009

Well.... the harmonica bridge is iconic, but I think the consensus is there are better bridges out there these days. The new Kluson is the best of the hamonicas (I have one on my Tiger). I put a Callaham ABR bridge on my Wolf-ish because I thought it was a better bridge and I'm happy with it.

Schaller makes great stuff. The one you linked to is a strat-style bridge. What is the neck angle on your guitar? If it's flatter (more Fender-ish) this one should work. If there is more of a "lay back" angle (a la Gibson) you may not be able to adjust this one high enough without going to a riser. There are some good threads on that here- use the search to find them.
 #144465  by hippieguy1954

+1 On the Schaller bridge you linked. I have one (top load) on the guitar below and I love it. It comes with a 1/8" thick riser if you need one. I did not need to use it as this is a Strat body, bolt on neck etc. Slight to no neck angle.

I'm working on a current build that has a neck angle(pics to follow when completed) and I'm using the Pigtail Wrap-Around Intonatable Tailpiece/bridge. http://www.pigtailmusic.com/Products.ph ... eTailPiece I've hear a lot of good reviews on it.
 #144470  by gmchart

I've used the Schaller you noted and like it alot. The three way adjustment is a nice feature. If you've got a neck with a graduated radius, say 12 to 14 by the time you get to the bridge you're looking at roughly 16, which is flatter than most non- adjustable ones. I've heard on this site before that the rollers seem to get mysteriously out of alignment, and they can. Gremlins, no doubt. A tiny dab (like the tip of a sharp toothpick) of clear silicone will keep them in place but still allow changes in the future.
 #144471  by hippieguy1954

The rollers are on threaded shafts. They will spin on that threaded shaft while changing strings do to the fact that they are very easy to turn with no string tension. Just pulling the string through can spin the roller. Very easy to adjust again.
Besides that, I have never had them move :smile:
 #144472  by Poor Peter

Thanks for all the help. We wound up ordering the Schaller (black w/ tuners to match) I'll throw up some pics when it's done.
 #144477  by Jon S.

This one's in my parts drawer now awaiting its time to shine.

#144487  by tatittle

I think that Schaller is brass with chrome plating. There is a guy that sells Strat trems solid brass on ebay that are high quality, from Turkey or something like that.