#144406  by claytushaywood

I'm thinking about adding a prevolume control buffer (no OBEL) to an SG with 2 volume and 2 tone controls. I havent really looked at the wiring of an SG ever. But will there be problems using a buffer with this style setup? Would I need to convert to master volume or use 2 buffers?

Thanks!
 #144407  by claytushaywood

or here's another question on pre-volume vs post volume control buffers. It seems to me like having a buffer directly after the pickups would prevent loading the pickups when turning down the volume control. But has anyone actually tried this in practice? I had a prevolume buffer on a previous guitar and I thought it was amazing but I never compared side to side and now it seems so long ago that i'm not sure anymore! I'm not sure if the loading matters as long as the cable capacitance is taken out of play. like most music electronics stuff (i know my avatar shows that I'm an electronics guru- but i'm not truly) the science is often a lot different than practice. one of the best examples of that is how big a difference the old jerry twin reverb preamp mods make in tone. according to the science it shouldnt be too much if any. but in practice it makes a huge difference

so would there actually be a difference in the taper and loss of treble between having a buffer directly after the pickups before the volume control and having a buffer just right before the output jack?

And are those PEC pots actually worth the money, or the RS guitarworks? any avid users of super expensive pots out there?
 #144408  by williamsaut

I took a look at a couple schematics and it looks like if you use stacked pots you'd end up with a master pre vol and master tone leaving spots open for a post OBEL 25K vol and trs jack wired right between the output of the pickup selector and amp output jack. Don't know if a stacked pot will fit in an SG control cavity though.

Instead of stacked pots you could also use coaxial pots so you'd still have individual adjustment of each pickup vol and tone. You wouldn't have to alter the pickguard if you do it this way. if this image loads, you'll see that it has added coil tap switches.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbwqj4n5tsrrn ... 0.jpg?dl=0
 #144409  by williamsaut

I'm sure that folks who have more practical experience at this will speak up but I believe that both the volume and tone circuits are basically bypass or bleed style in that their slowly sinking or partly lifting the signal to or from ground and it would make little sonic difference unless the tone and volume controls were truly active.
 #144418  by bluemule

With a buffer after the volume you will hear a brighter version of whatever you put into it. don't think that will work too well if you want to keep it as bright as possible. Could be a cool shade though. I like a blaster post volume but i have never used a jg preamp after master volume. It wouldn't be too difficult to fit two preamps on one board if u want to go the pre volume route. They could even share a battery.
 #144425  by PHersh

The Scott Walker Phoenix is a two-pickup guitar with two volume and two tone controls. It has a unity gain buffer preamp that runs on one battery. Scott may have just the buffer you are seeking. He's at (831) 462-2897.
 #144436  by ccw3432

I placed a UGB post volumes, between the pickup switches (running a separate switch for each pickup) and the output jack on a Gibson SG. If you do this change to a stereo jack so the buffer can be wired to be switched off/on with the insertion of the instrument cable. No OBEL was installed on this guitar. It worked fine and gave some more high end clarity. All that mahogany on the SG and the shorter scale length don't make it a good candidate for a later years Jerry tone guitar in my opinion. Even with the UGB installed there's no overriding that warm mahogany tone of the SG. I am planning to remove the buffer from this guitar since I now have other guitars that get a better later years Jerry tone. It just depends what you're going for, but a maple neck guitar will give you a brighter tone.