#144084  by tatittle

I am looking to start doing some fretwork (crowning especially) for myself and am wondering what tools would be best to obtain. Do I really need the expensive diamond type tools or do cheap ones work for a few guitars before wearing out?
 #144091  by ccw3432

Luthier tools can get expensive really quick. A good fret job is key to a great playing guitar. To do it right you really have to make sure the frets are sanded level before crowning. I've built 4 necks and have done the fretwork with the following tools. I use a 24" precision ground straight edge with adhesive backed sandpaper to level the frets. Then I use a large flat file to put the edge angle on them. You can build or purchase a file holder to help keep the angle consistent if you want. Next I do the crowning with a crowning file. The standard crowning files work fine for me. I haven't tried the diamond ones but I would like to. Then I use a small flat file to round over the edges at the fret ends so the frets aren't sharp when playing. Then the polishing process. I use emery cloth and a buffing wheel for the final shine.

This is a great little file for dressing the fret ends.
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/To ... _File.html
 #144102  by TI4-1009

ccw3432 wrote: This is a great little file for dressing the fret ends.
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/To ... _File.html
+1

I recently made a dulcimer for my daughter and it was my first time doing fretting. A medium flat file worked well to round over the edges, but that left a sharp "tang" on each side of the fret end. This file worked great at smoothing off that sharp point. The file has a smooth side that runs on the fretboard without scratching it.
 #144109  by tatittle

Thanks guys. I am not looking for full refretting equiptment at this point. I am just hoping to keep my frets in good shape in the meantime. I seem to wear them out so fast these days (even wider ones less than 6100), maybe I just didn't notice it when I 1st started playing. Maybe this file will be enough if I keep up with them often enough.
I was wondering if just re-crowning them regularly (without leveling) would help...and I mean regularly like every month with vintage thins. I have become so sensitive to wanting excellent frets but cant handle paying a pro to keep them there as often as Id like. I realize leveling is needed at some point, but was hoping crowning them regularly would help keep me happy in between.
 #144114  by ccw3432

If thery are wearing down that quickly you may want to consider a harder fret material. Is it just happening on one guitar or several? I'm wondering if you have a real soft fret material. You could consider stainless frets.
 #144117  by zambiland

ccw3432 wrote:If thery are wearing down that quickly you may want to consider a harder fret material. Is it just happening on one guitar or several? I'm wondering if you have a real soft fret material. You could consider stainless frets.
I was just going to suggest that. I played with Vince Herman for a while and he would get the first 6 or 7 frets on his acoustic replaced every 6 months or so before going to stainless steel frets. It made a big difference. I got stainless for one of my guitars and at the rate I wear them out, they are going to be still good when my two year old son is my age.
 #144124  by tatittle

I have several electrics and it happens on them all, they mostly have typical nickel alloy or whatever. Thinner frets seem to wear faster of course. I do have 1 neck with stainless steel but it is a Gibson length strat neck (warmoth) that I haven't been playing much, so its hard to tell how much it helps. Almost no wear on that one though of course :) That's a good idea for sure thanks.