#142817  by TI4-1009

Maybe it's just me, but- no posts from Mike in 7 weeks, his avatar is gone, and the only page from his website that I can get to is his buffer page.

Yo Mike- despite what some small minds might say, you're about the most valuable member here. The landscape would be empty if you were gone.
 #142818  by tatittle

Wow, I sure do hope everything is okay, or getting better if something did happen. Life is precious and fleeting. Thoughts of gratitude and prayers MW.
 #142846  by Smolder

Hope all is well in Waldo-ville. I've always appreciated your contributions. I hope we'll continue to have your input.
 #142852  by schmidtz

Top left hand corner, just above the table.

More interesting, however, is the man just above and to the right of Waldo holding the umbrella. Why is he wearing hooker boots?
 #142854  by TI4-1009

schmidtz wrote:More interesting, however, is the man just above and to the right of Waldo holding the umbrella. Why is he wearing hooker boots?
Kinky. And Umbrella Man has definitely aged since Dealey Plaza....
 #142855  by mgbills

There are precious few Hippies in that room. Maybe none. My eyes wigged out before I could definitively identify even one.
Lot's of diversity. Low on Hippies.
Not my scene...
Peace
M
 #143337  by ccw3432

I just went to the wald-electronics website and there is a "Sorry We're Closed" sign up and no contact link available. I hope it is only a temporary closure. I've been purchasing my buffers from Waldo because he has contributed so much here and I know I'm getting a buffer that is built to specs. I hope all is well.
 #143341  by schmidtz

Just build your own buffer... the parts will probably run you $0.70.

#143343  by flyingheelhook

I think you missed this line underneath the closed sign:
Hello, i am currently closed for the Holidays and will open shop back up January 5th.
He's still in business. I got my buffer exactly one week from ordering it (12/5). Installed it last night!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
 #143344  by milobender

Just build your own buffer... the parts will probably run you $0.70.
What decade are you living in? Shipping cost is a minimum of $7.00
If you are going to offer advise, at least be real about it... and not use it as some veiled comment about Waldo's pricing.
 #143345  by schmidtz

I forget that not everyone has a stash of parts, and I also forget that I have probably more than I'm willing to admit sunk in shipping.

There is also the very real (and very expensive) cost of having PCB's made. Also, waldo's time is money. Each board probably takes a half hour to do, and any good tech will charge upwards of $70 an hour.

This was not intended as a dig on his pricing. I would never consider selling stuff, because I don't want to deal with the bookkeeping involved in making a profit. I make circuits to learn about stuff, and because I find it rewarding.

But realistically, the parts could be had for $7.70 with shipping, then probably a couple hours for the novice to assemble.

EDIT:
I guess I should also mention that Waldo uses very high quality parts that would cost significantly more than $.70, such as Dale resistors and Panasonic capacitors. To equal his parts, you would be up in the $10 range for parts alone.
Last edited by schmidtz on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #143348  by milobender

My apologies for the dig... it was before coffee...

The price of the components, if you use high quality stuff, is definitely more than .70; I just ordered a bunch of stuff, and it's probably closer to $5... Plus shipping... and there's the perf board (it's unlikely you are going to actually purchase a 4 sq inch piece)... Anyway, the point is, the parts are the least of the expense, it's the time and expertise that costs... especially if you don't do it "just exactly perfect" the first time and you have to trouble shoot... even though this is an extremely simple circuit, there's always the learning curve for novices to deal with...

I make my own stuff too, though I do like to purchase Mike's boards for my customers, and spread the business. I've never had a problem with any of his boards, and I've installed quite a few of them now.