#141097  by Jon S.

Thanks! A few more pix (cell phone this time :oops: ) ...

Beautiful, unique fretboard binding:

Electronics (super tidy w/superb shielding & love the connectors [not shown] that allow for instant PUP ring swaps):

Ready to be Pleked:

Being Pleked
:

#141107  by Jon S.

mkaufman wrote:Maybe Leo can verify.

mk
Isn't Leo in New York now hobnobbing with Doug Irwin and other top Jer-guitar luthiers?
 #141120  by Diggey

First, the guitar looks beautiful and you can see how much time and effort went into making it. I ask the next question only out of being crazy and wanting to be sure of my eyesight or that I'm not having a stroke. Are your tuners misaligned or is it the camera/ internet distorting this or is this supposed to be slightly offset to make it unique?
 #141125  by softmachine72

Thanks for the honest and thorough review Jon . I am always trying to make improvements I cannot make them if they are not pointed out. The tuners are not level with each other because the headstock is asymmetrical . Each tuner is equidistant from the binding edge, each other and the lower corner.I do use a neck jig for fretboard flattening and the fret jobs and but, I am not a human CNC . I will find some one locally who does Plek work and offer that service to any one who wants really low action. Also on the weight, my older guitars are heavier because I have changed how much meat I take out of the core. After this weekend with Tom, I am again redesigning the core construction, not exactly how he does it but, I do have some ideas. On a completely different note , I had a great time this weekend and it was nice to meet some of you guys face to face.
Last edited by softmachine72 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #141126  by Jon S.

I had to go back and look at the pics to understand what you mean. I think I do. But all I can say is they work fine and are thus fine by me. I would guess the slight offset you're seeing is both intended to produce the optimal string orientation/pull/nut angles and exaggerated by the camera.

EDIT, Leo, welcome back! You beat me to it and your answer is pretty much what I expected.
 #141127  by jackaroo

As much info is out there on these instruments...the truths behind their construction is obscured by many years, myth, and the fact that they cannot be easily observed/taken apart.

I'm impressed that we've come this far actually!

I will say the recessed screws seems like the only logical way to have them...if they aren't recessed on the originals, I'd consider that a design flaw. Good workaround by Phil. He sounds awesome.

Congrats on the the new guitar!

J
 #141130  by flyingheelhook

Beautiful! Congrats
P.S. Anyone local to the DC area? The T-Dads’ next gig is Sat., August 30, 6-9 PM, at the Mantua Swim and Tennis Club in Fairfax, VA (outdoors on the deck if sun, inside in the clubhouse if rain). Come hear Wolfie for yourself!
Figures - I am going to a private party up in Frederick that day...
 #141136  by TI4-1009

softmachine72 wrote:The tuners are not level with each other because the headstock is asymmetrical .

....On a completely different note , I had a great time this weekend and it was nice to meet some of you guys face to face.
Leo- asymmetrical headstock?? I don't get it- explain? Good to meet you too, and thanks again for the beautiful tailpiece and switchplate.

Jon- it's a beauty, good things come to those who wait! So tell the truth, do you like it? :lol:
 #141140  by Jon S.

Do I like it? For me, the bottom line is tone and playability. Wolfie has those in spades. But I hope it's OK to add, at the risk of appearing shallow, that the guitar's cosmetics take the breath away from all who behold it. Even my wife told me it's the most beautiful guitar she's seen. :)
 #141143  by tcsned

Jon S. wrote:Do I like it? For me, the bottom line is tone and playability. Wolfie has those in spades. But I hope it's OK to add, at the risk of appearing shallow, that the guitar's cosmetics take the breath away from all who behold it. Even my wife told me it's the most beautiful guitar she's seen. :)
I feel the exact same way about mine. Leo does amazing work.

*edit*
As soon as I have a night that my neighbor is gone I'll do a video review.
 #141156  by Jon S.

I know this is shameless but it is relevant because you can hear Wolf at stage volume! :lol:

http://www.mantuastc.org/PictureProcess ... ds2014.jpg
 #141682  by Jon S.

I'm back to add that now having been able to play it further ;) and gig once with it, I really love this guitar. I've learned never to say never about gear but at this point my guitar GAS is over (seriously).