#136790  by Pfallon

Hi I'd like to build a buffer around a TL701.
Can anyone recommend specific types of components and sourcing?
Resistors-2.2 m
Caps-0.1uF &10uf
This is just on strip board,in an always on/in config.
All these parts seem super cheap.Are there any that are better sounding and or worth a few extra cents?
Thanks
Pat
 #137114  by haydukej

Pat,
My default is to go through http://www.mouser.com/. Order spare parts for this and/or other projects, as parts are cheap, shipping is not. You could also try ebay for parts, but likely you'll source them from China. For resistors and caps, you should be able to keep it here in the US. Third option is to go to a local Radio Shack if you need them right this minute, but their selection will be vastly limited.

For resistors, I would go with just your typical 1/4 watt metal oxide resistor. Tolerance shouldn't be too critical, so look into a 5 or 10%.

Now, for the capacitors, dare I open the flood gates? Two camps for these little devices. 1) Capacitance is capacitance and any type (i.e. film, ceramic, aluminum electrolytic, etc.) will be fine. 2) to get that MOJO you must use Sprague Orange drops and/or the ole Bumblebee paper-in-oil capacitors.

Personally, I fall into camp 1 and this keeps my tone and wallet happy. To each his own.

Hope this helps, best of luck.
 #137116  by TI4-1009

Nominated for best first post of the year. Welcome!
 #137118  by hippieguy1954

Pfallon wrote:Hi I'd like to build a buffer around a TL701.
Can anyone recommend specific types of components and sourcing?
Resistors-2.2 m
Caps-0.1uF &10uf
This is just on strip board,in an always on/in config.
All these parts seem super cheap.Are there any that are better sounding and or worth a few extra cents?
Thanks
Pat

This might have some helpful info: http://guitarwiring.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... uffer.html

I don't know if you have checked this out or not: http://www.wald-electronics.com/wald-el ... clone.html

+1 on Mouser!
 #137227  by Pfallon

Hi guys thanks for the helpful info!
I did get all the parts on the way from tayada,mouser and digikey
I looked at caps of all types and just guessed on sprague because ive heard of that brand before.
Tell me more about this Mojo...
I also found a nice neat lay out for a stratoblaster but the 1.5uf tantalum cap took awhile to find and cost 10 times more than others; is it just smaller and true to the original?
One more question while I'm at it
It was recommended in several tutorials to use sockets for the ics and transistors
That sounds like a good idea- any reasons not to?
Thanks again for the responses and I'll post more as I progress
Ttyl
Pat
 #137229  by TI4-1009

Building pedals we use sockets anywhere there might be the need to try out different values- even lowly resistors. For ICs and transistors there's also the advantage of not having to give them any heat.
 #137243  by Pfallon

That's what I was thinking T 14
I've got the board sized with cuts and jumpers done I can't wait for the rest of the parts to get in so I can finish up and test
 #137841  by Pfallon

Well I built it, actually around a TL702 dual op amp just using 1 side. The dual chip was esayier to find.
So far I've tested it out side a guitar, inline to my amp and while it had signal, I could not hear a difference/ improvement in frequency response. It might be better immediately after the pu selector in the guitar,like I have theSWG buffer set up in my main guitar. I could really hear a great improvement in tone when I installed the SWG. That's what started my quest to make affordable buffers for all my guitars.
I'll post again when I have it ideally located in my signal path.
PS I'm also about to finish a strip board Stratoblaster to compliment this buffer.
I should have that ready to go this weekend.
I'll report on that too once I've tested it out.
TTYL
Pat
 #137963  by Pfallon

Well the stratoblaster 2.0 works well. I think I may have fried the 1st 2n5457 that I tried
I used a socket the second try and it works well
It seems to add more distortion when cranked up rather than just clean boost
It sounds good though just different than the SWG boost section
 #139305  by Pfallon

Alright! By now I've completed a (verified) Strip board that combines the stratoblaster and a jfet buffer in 2 separate circuits. I like the treble boost from the 2n5457 transistor in the buffer, but now I would like to build a copy of the Tiger op amp buffer to layout on the Strip board.
Is there a schematic and parts list posted anywhere, with the exact, higher quality components (IC, Caps etc.)used for the buffer circuit in the Tiger?
I don't intend to infringe on anyone who has their own PCBs and/or complete circuits for sale, I'm just trying to DIY for my own home made guitars.
Thanks,
Pat
 #139363  by Pfallon

.....Crickets.... Wow! I didn't realize the shit-nado that has already flown about this topic. I did find the info in the said thread, but I still ask what's the sonic advantage of the higher voltage caps?
Peace and Jerryness,
Pat
 #144603  by Pfallon

Hi again to anyone interested. A little more R&D revealed some things of interest.
For one the chip sited in the title of this thread is actually TL071, which is a low noise fairly common single sided op amp.
The Fairchild TL071 is a compatible replacement for the LM356 that is the original IC(integrated circuit) used in the Tiger buffer pre amp.
2 there is a tidy strip board layout for the tiger buffer circuit posted in the Guitarfx or tagboard effects website
The layout as is uses lower voltage,smaller caps in place of the original higher voltage caps, they are appropriate for the voltage demands of this circuit and seem to save space.
The layout is small 1.25"x1" but after scrutinizing the possibility of modifiying it to use the larger caps, they will fit in the locations provided for the smaller caps- the biggest 250v 2.2u poly cap just has to stand upright,but the small footprint remains the same.
3 after building and testing both versions it was impossible for me to hear any difference in sound. To other ears there may be a noticeable difference, if so then great, you can still fit the mojo version in the same footprint as long as there is enough vertical space.
4 there is some rationale to using the higher voltage, larger caps even if they sound the same- theoretically they will stay true to specs and not drift from value for much longer.
Ancient Deadhead theorist have asserted that this is why Cutler chose to use them- if Garcia could hear the magnets start to weaken and fade in his Super lls, then he might also hear the caps drifting out of specs!
Anyway I hope this info will help anybody towards their goals.- Corrections and rebuttals graciously accepted
Peace and Jerryness
Pat
 #144605  by tatittle

"Third option is to go to a local Radio Shack if you need them right this minute, but their selection will be vastly limited."

I went to the Radio Shack awhile back with memories of it being one of my late EEG grandfather's favorite shop's as a tyke. I came out very sad, if not angry and political lol! It was basically a 2nd rate cell phone accessory shop! They did have a few electronic components disorganized in a little drawer, but it bared little resemblance to what I imagine it once was. The fact that lack of profits recently led to it closing 50% of its stores wont help.
 #144606  by Pfallon

tatittle wrote:"Third option is to go to a local Radio Shack if you need them right this minute, but their selection will be vastly limited."

I went to the Radio Shack awhile back with memories of it being one of my late EEG grandfather's favorite shop's as a tyke. I came out very sad, if not angry and political lol! It was basically a 2nd rate cell phone accessory shop! They did have a few electronic components disorganized in a little drawer, but it bared little resemblance to what I imagine it once was. The fact that lack of profits recently led to it closing 50% of its stores wont help.
Thanks for the reply tatittle!

I've actually covered a lot of ground since this initial post
Yes Radio shack is in a sad state- I have stopped in for some soldering supplies and browsed their pathetic el component drawers
Pretty weak vestig of times gone by. It's no wonder they've filed ch 11 the placed was over staffed by 5 disinterested pimple faced punks that only wanted to sell me a phone and had literally no idea what I was even talking about when I asked for one of their common jfet transistors mpf102. Any way if found most of what I need from Tayda,mouser and digikey
I've been able to source odd ball stuff from pinball machine repair sites and ham radio guys
It's been a fun area of research and I've really improved the sound and tone of my guitars as a result!
Ttyl
Pat