#129402  by TruckinThruTennessee

I am working on a custom jag build. neck is warmoth, maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The body is alder. I originally painted it fiesta red, but i sanded off just the top layer of paint and finished it. Its got standard jag interior. It's getting a mid frequency expander, a built in compressor unit , I'm putting in a brass tune-o-matic bridge, a brass nut, and plan on shielding the pickup cavity and the strat pup covers, I'm replacing the input jack with an alembic blaster. I just have one question for you great tone techs. What single coils would you recommend for that live Europe strat tone? Got the idea from seeing Jerry with Costello's jag.
 #129412  by TruckinThruTennessee

Just wanted to show the body so far. When I painted the whole thing fiesta red i sanded down the top and really began to dig the red on the edges like a binding, so I just hand rubbed the finish on and I'm going from there.
 #129416  by hippieguy1954

First off, I would use a strat hard tail body. Preferably ash. You need that middle position pup.

As far as the single coil pickups go, I always suggest D. Allen Voodoo '69s or Fender Custom shop '69's for that era.

Have you been here:? http://www.wald-electronics.com/

Welcome and peace!
 #129419  by TruckinThruTennessee

Right, I have a hand built strat that I made. I use it for most of my Dead stuff. The reason I started this build was to imagine, "hey, what if Jerry used a jag?" I've been debating though, should I just tab and split some buckers, for an all around Jerry, or stick with singles? Thanks for the pickup recommendation, I've just been using the emg dg20 and its got to much bass for me. Anyone else got some ideas on how I can Jerry-fy my jag? I know about the OBEL, and the preamps and all that good stuff, but my knowledge of wiring is pretty stock (limited to changing my pups). I'd love to have all the bells and whistles like that but there's noone around me that can fathom it. Thanks again!
 #129835  by TruckinThruTennessee

mikelawson wrote:Have you considered splitting a stacked hum bucker single-coil?
Yes, I'm actually looking into that right now, thanks for that idea though, I was scanning the forum and found allot of people use it around here.
 #129840  by strumminsix

As you talk to some pickup guys keep these folks in mind:
http://www.ricecustomguitars.com/pickups.php

Talk to Chris, tell him you want 57 Strat style like Garcia's tone on Europe 72. He's not a DeadHead but knows plenty, has Dead albums but more importantly is a master at his craft, is an electronics whiz and knows tone.

Full disclosure: they've built me 2 guitars, countless pickups and we play some gigs together from time to time but I have nothing to do with their company.
 #129841  by ccw3432

The Jag has a shorter scale lenght than the guitars Jerry typically played. I think it is cool project but if you're going for that spankyness in the sound it's not be the best base to work off for Jerry tone. The Jazzmaster is pretty similar in body shape but has a 25.5" scale length vs a 24" on the Jaguar. The scale length plays a big part in the guitar tone.