#97370  by BDI

So, I'm modding a strat to be a mashup tribute to my two favorite guitar players, Jerry Garcia and David Gilmour. I've ordered Waldo's buffer, and I have lots of awesome little switches to install when I get my new pickguard (series/parallel, OBEL, standby, etc). For right now, however, I've just routed out the cavity that the buffer and battery are going in and fashioned a cover for it. The rest of my stuff would be here within the next week or two I hope!
 #97412  by BDI

Got the majority of the wiring done.
 #97419  by RiverRat

Is that the Gilmour "stealth switch" installed between the 5 way switch and the volume pot? Are those Fender Custom Shop pickups? Ditch the tone cap for a .05uf ceramic disc.

Even upside down, the Gilmour pickup height setup is pretty plain to see.

Here something for inspiration... Black Strat and 0001 clones:

#97424  by BDI

Yeah they're CS '69s. I'm in love with these pickups. And yes, that is the neck-on switch. Good eye. It also has a series/parallel switch (mid & bridge), OBEL switch, momentary killswitch and a standby switch to disconnect to battery to waldo's buffer. I like that you went with a rosewood neck for your black strat, as that's what he had in the 70's making all that killer music. You really nailed that 0001, too. I was going to build one but couldn't find a left-handed anodized pickguard.
 #97475  by bdhact1

I just tried coupling an external Alembic blaster that directly followed the unity gain buffer in the Effects loop. It gives an awesome kick to the effects. A very unique overtone is added to the over all sound.
 #97479  by BDI

I'm actually planning on getting some stacked pots, a Blaster, and installing a switch to to choose between passive/buffer/blaster. That'll be another day, though.
 #97516  by bdhact1

BDI wrote:I'm actually planning on getting some stacked pots, a Blaster, and installing a switch to to choose between passive/buffer/blaster. That'll be another day, though.

That's going to be a great setup. Choose you era with the flip of a switch.
 #98238  by BDI

Ok got everything all put together. Waldo had an understandable delay but the TPC-1 arrived a few days ago and it was certainly worth the wait. I'm so happy with the way this project turned out (and that everything worked right the first time). Sounds fantastic. Now all I need is to save up for my SMS Classic Pre...