#87471  by Counterstriker

Looking for a scheme for a 1x12 cab, need one for the smaller gigs, the 2x12 can get loud :D can't imagine jerry's 4x12!

I'm limited on the tools to built it. I have the dremel, tabe saw and nails, clamps and such. but other then that no carpentering tools. So hopefully I don't need that many!

-thanks!
 #87473  by tigerstrat

cabs can be found dirt cheap. just sayin'.
 #87475  by JonnyBoy

Hey counterstriker,

I took the measurements of a HT cab and cut it in half height wise. I used 3/4" ply. Cut the tops of the cab straight on the table saw to size, then with a 3/4" scrap piece, draw a pencil line from the edge to 3/4" in on the boards for the sides (top and bottom of the board) and cut that over the table saw with the blade only going half way through the wood. then cut it so it is notched with a 3/4" by 3/8" cut out by running the board standing straight up over the saw blade at the right height again. Glue and nail together, you have a sturdy box. cut the baffle to fit and then cut the circle with a jig saw by finding the right diameter on line for your speaker. a half sheet should suffice, about 25 bucks. Good luck and watch your fingers.

TS is right, you should be able to find a cheap cab around your parts easily., maybe a little more than 25 bucks, but you wont have to deal with any of the labor.
 #87486  by williamsaut

This is the guy I bought a 2X12 open back from and am pretty happy with it. The overlap of the tolex on the bottom wasn't stapled and started to come unglued but otherwise very well built. Plenty of reinforcement and cauked inside. No particle board here. I've since ordered a 1X12.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg
 #87494  by modz

You can use these and just use the outside measurements. I use Dado and tongue n groove. Outside measurement = 13 x 15 x 15.
Here is the 2x12 too. I use 1/4" tongues.
If you get stuck hit me up. It's pretty fun building your own cabinet. Use glue blocks and screw them in from the inside. Nails aren't a great idea! Nail or screw heads showing from the outside isn't attractive:)
tracyva at the yahoo. Use good wood and get as many plys as possible.
 #87514  by mijknahs

I like smaller cabs. Jerry's 3x12 was on the smaller side. I have a Mesa Boogie 1x12 cab that is small and sounds really good.
 #87592  by playingdead

I built a pair of 1X12's back in 2005; had never made anything before, and they looked sure like it, but they sounded fine.

Most places where you can get the baltic birch ply will cut you the sizes you need if you just buy it by the sheet. I had them cut it all for me, only thing I had to do was coerce a buddy to help me cut the hole for the speaker in the baffle board. I used the blocks inside to reinforce and glued and screwed it all together.
 #87596  by modz

Great idea having them cut it. Have them cut the glue blocks too. 3/4 x 3/4 and pre drill to keep the ply end from splitting. I would rather have 2 1x12 cabs as opposed to one 2x12 but 2 - 2x12's would be great:)
 #87597  by modz

Here is a cut out I sent to Counterstriker via email. This was for a half sheet of Home Depot plywood (most plys they have are usually cabinet grade). The grain running the right direction is important for final looks. I use Baltic birch myself.
 #99915  by PaulJay

Hey. Does anyone have a picture of a 1x12 in. cab they made? ,Paul
 #99931  by PaulJay

Looks nice. Thanks Jommy
 #99935  by JamminJommy

no prob. its a touch shallower than hard truckers style cabs, but it does the job. Put a Weber Cali in there since that photo... and have 6" more hair! :cool: hahaha. let me know if you want dimensions.

Peace,

Jommy
 #125560  by philzone77

Working on a 1x12 cab as we speak! I borrowed a buddy's HT 2x12 and cut the dimensions in half. So far, all the info in this thread is really good stuff. The SSP cabs look really nice for the price although the plans are a little different from what I've seen from HT. The SSP uses a tongue and groove that is not as robust as the HT dado and rabbet joints (although I'm sure the SSP is tough as nails!). The nice thing about the dado and rabbet joints is that you can cut them pretty easily with a table saw alone. Good luck and BE CAREFUL!