#149634  by LongStrangeJam

Hi everyone, two questions today about cabinets and speakers:

1) I'm looking to buy a speaker, either a Weber Cali or the Neomag. I've heard good things about both, but Weber's website says that the Cali cannot handle much didstortion. Is this true? What are your thoughts about the better contender? Not really looking to match a particular 3 of the jbls, just trying to find the better contender.

2) I'm also thinking about building my own 1x12 speaker cab. What wood should I use? Also, what are the 4 silver speaker holders on the front of all your cabinets? Trying to find some. Thanks.
 #149635  by TeeJay

The last time I looked the Neomags are only available in the 10". The Cali does not work as hard to smooth distortion as some of the other speakers do. May or may not be a bad thing depending on the sound your going for.

The cabinets are made out of the best grade 3/4 Baltic birch ply. The construction method is unique compared to a Fender style extension cabinet. The aluminum clamps on the front were used to facilitate quick speaker changes on the front loaded cabinets and press the speaker frame to the baffle with pressure. There is a guy on ebay selling sets optimized for the modern steel framed speakers. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200 ... =824&kw=lg

Below are a couple cabs I did recently:

#149637  by ccw3432

I use to have a Weber California and I found it didn't do it for me for Jerry tone (if that's what you're going for). Compared to a JBL it sounds quite different. I haven't tried the neo mag so I can't comment on it.

Nice looking cab TeeJay!
 #149638  by TeeJay

Nice looking cab TeeJay!
Nice work TJ! Looks beautiful "o)
Thanks guys!
I use to have a Weber California and I found it didn't do it for me for Jerry tone (if that's what you're going for). Compared to a JBL it sounds quite different. I haven't tried the neo mag so I can't comment on it.
My experience also. The neomag was better for Jerry tone for me but it is now only available in a 10".

Maybe research the Tone Tubby Purple Haze. I have no experience with them but there was a thread with several positive reviews.
 #149640  by ccw3432

TeeJay wrote:

Maybe research the Tone Tubby Purple Haze. I have no experience with them but there was a thread with several positive reviews.
I'd really like to hear some audio samples of the Purple Haze through a Jerry rig.
 #149641  by milobender

I have a set of 12" Neomags, and a set of D120s, and the JBLs are much better for the Jerry tone, IMHO... I liked the Neomags when I got them, but when I got the JBLs they paled in comparison...
 #149643  by Searing75

I have Cali's. I liked them, but then got JBL K120's and never looked back! :hail: