#145390  by zambiland

I just got this on Craiglist. I've been looking for a single 15" cab for when the 200S is too much. The downside to this cabinet is that it weighs about the same as the 200S and it's still pretty big. The upside is that it wasn't much more than buying the JBLs alone and they are in great shape with original cones. I'm taking it out for it's first voyage tomorrow night.

It's got a K140 and a K110, apparently with some sort of crossover circuit. The K110 has its own chamber. It was custom made by ABC (A Better Cabinet Company), probably in the late 70s.

Updates to be done, if it sounds good enough to keep:
Casters
Speakon inputs (maybe stereo inputs?)
New grille, maybe just one per driver. The current one rattles a bit.

There are two in this picture, but I only bought one of them (which means the other is still available in Colorado Springs).

https://static.talkbass.com/data/attach ... 0e57a8.jpg
 #146212  by Brandon Bowlds

Looks cool. I am thinking about a JBL 15" cab of some sort. I have a friend who builds some nice HT style cabs and thought about commissioning him.
Now that you've had it awhile, what do you think?
 #146216  by zambiland

Brandon Bowlds wrote:Looks cool. I am thinking about a JBL 15" cab of some sort. I have a friend who builds some nice HT style cabs and thought about commissioning him.
Now that you've had it awhile, what do you think?
I like it but I do need to adjust the crossover. I'm not convinced the cab is tuned all that well, as the ports are pretty small, but it seems to give it more of a sealed cabinet character. I also use a Sunn 200S with K-140s that I like a lot, although it could use a bit more high end.

What I don't like is the weight. Playing through a fEARful has spoiled me. I would look into that style of construction. Unless you are touring hundreds of shows a year, with roadies and union guys handling your gear, there's no reason to build so heavy.

If I were building one from scratch, I would look into trying to make a very lightweight sealed Hard Truckers style cabinet. Amplifier power is cheap these days, so the loss of efficiency isn't as big a deal as it was back in the day, but it would still have to be a pretty large cabinet.
 #146223  by zambiland

Brandon Bowlds wrote:thanks for the info. I am looking at the fearful site now. seems like a 15/6 and a 12/6 would be a pretty handy rig.
I had that and sold the 12/6 to my keyboard player. It was completely unnecessary. A 15/6/1 is plenty except for the loudest gigs. These days I have PA support at every show, so I don't need crazy volume on stage.

But, having both was cool because it was great to have a small cab for small gigs. I kind of miss that.
 #146272  by ugly rumor

I used to have a set of two (actually, three, but only used two at a time) Bag End S-15D cabinets; not the "X" model with tweeter. Very light, easy to choose whether one or two were enough for the gig, and I loved the tone and quality of construction. I intensely dislike rat fur, but otherwise they were very sufficient. I would like to have the set again, but am not playing enough to justify purchase. Plenty of headroom with my modified Gibson GB-440 amplifier, which I most commonly used with them.
 #146354  by Brandon Bowlds

thanks for the info guys. I am using a SWR class D rig right now but I will be using a Mesa Boogie Prodigy tube head when it comes in. I borrowed a friends and it ruined me, then I heard the tapes and was convinced. I need one.
Good to know that the 15/6/1 is enough for most stages. we play 2-3 times a month and there is only once or twice a year when we don't have real PA support.
 #146355  by zambiland

I will add that I did a gig with both the fEARful and the 200S. It was an amazing sound, powered by a QSC CX1202v (800 real watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms). The fEARful gave me all the deep lows and crisp highs while the Sunn provided the wonderful JBL lows and mids. A perfect rig, but it was at the Fillmore in Denver, so it's unrealistic for club or regular theater stages.

I'm playing at the Fox in Boulder on 5/8 (covering 5/8/77, of course) and will probably bring the new JBL cab. The PA support there is excellent, so I can go for the good tone and get a mic and DI going.
 #146424  by Brandon Bowlds

That does sound like a killer rig, jelly. We usually play 300 person clubs about twice a month and about 4-5 festivals a year where I can get away with a big rig. I have been using an SWR Golite 4x10 and 1x15 for the last 5 years. The weight is great, tone is just ok.

any opinion on the Faital speakers that are recommended for the fearfuls vs the K140 or a E140?
 #146440  by zambiland

Brandon Bowlds wrote:That does sound like a killer rig, jelly. We usually play 300 person clubs about twice a month and about 4-5 festivals a year where I can get away with a big rig. I have been using an SWR Golite 4x10 and 1x15 for the last 5 years. The weight is great, tone is just ok.

any opinion on the Faital speakers that are recommended for the fearfuls vs the K140 or a E140?
The fEARfuls are designed for Eminence 3015LFs, which are great drivers, but completely different. They are subwoofers, not full range drivers. The fEARful cabs are carefully tuned to them. They also weigh practically nothing,which is nice. When I got into the fEARful thing, they were also only $130.

I highly recommend a visit to the greenboy forums.

http://greenboy.us/forum/index.php?sid= ... a390ed6ff2

I prefer K140s or D140s to E140s, but I know others feel differently.