#135288  by austinhumphrey

Hey everybody, haven't been on here for a while. I could use some input on a problem I've run into. I need a little more kick out of the amp I have so I can jam with some friend,s and don't have the money for a new one. It's a little line six combo amp and I really like the way it sounds but it doesn't have the juice to be heard with the rest of the band. I was wondering if you guys had any tips. I know placement is important but is there anything else I should consider? is there a way that I could hook the head to a different speaker? I am still learning about all this technical stuff so please excuse any stupid questions or ideas on my part. should I just suck it up and get a new amp? if so any suggestions for a fairly inexpensive, good amp? help a fellow dead head out, I am trying to get more serious about playing with other people, me and my loop station isn't cutting it anymore.
-Austin
 #135289  by ccw3432

I don't have any advice about how to get more volume out of your amp, but you could try a couple things.

If you all have a PA for vocals you could mic your amp and run it through the PA.
You could try to have the other guys play quieter, but that doesn't always work.
Other than that, I think you'll probably need to get a more powerful amp. Maybe something used on craigslist.
 #135532  by Griffyote

Hey Austin, since some of the more knowledgeable guys here haven't piped in here yet , I'll give you my 2 pennies.
You didnt give us much to go on. Not sure which Line 6 you have so don't know how many watts or what size speaker you have,or if there is line out or an out jack for an extension speaker? I know most of the Line 6 amps have effects built in so assume you are not using any pedals other than the looper? I'm not familar with the Line ^ circuitry or if turning up the treble and midrange would help you cut through much like it will on a fender.
The simplest way to get a few more decibels out of your current amp is an EQ pedal or a boost(think overdrive pedal). The MXR 10 band EQ claims to boost the signal 12 decibels though I wouldn't necessarily recommend that pedal. I saw a Boss DS-1 for sale on the steel guitar forum for $25 . My Ibanez TS-9 tubescreamer really boosted the signal. Along with boosting the signal they will change your tone though. I'd say that would be the most bang for the buck. But really,in the long run would think about upgrading to a fender(or many of its clones) tube amp if you want the tone. Like a Deluxe, Princeton, Deville or even a Blues Junior will get plenty loud if you don't need to stay clean.If you really want to get loud and clean there are getting to be a lot more of the Reissue Twins around.I wouldn't pay more or even as much for a reissue just because they are newer though.The really good deals on the silver face twins are becoming fewer and farther between. Set aside a few hundred bucks and keep your eyes open for a deal. :cool: Manifest. Musicians in distress are frequently unloading their used gear for cheap. :cry:
 #135540  by Jon S.

Hi, Austin. Can you tell us exactly what model Line 6 amp you have? That will help us help you determine if this is a problem you can ameliorate keeping your amp or if buying a new one is really necessary. This being said, threads where people say they need more power out of their existing amps are common, it's something most of us have experienced, too, and my personal experience is that bootstrapping the existing gear rarely works (unless we're talking micing the amp or running its line out into the PA) and the best - and ultimately most cost-effective approach - for the long term is to bite the bullet, sell the current amp, and buy the one you really need. Regarding cost, can you save $25 a week even? If yes, by June, you'd have $500 + what you can sell your amp for and these days you can buy a lot of amp, new or used, for that scratch.