#131079  by Jon S.

Sweet little cab - the small footprint cab with big tone. Finally got around to pulling my E120 from my Avatar 1X12 Cube and moving it into its new home. Fascinating how each cab impacts the overall rig's sound. I like them both, the Avatar is louder and "mid-ier," the SSP more scooped, sweeter, and "Jerry-er." Lighter, too, so I deem it a win-win. I'll be using it at a jam tomorrow afternoon, looking forward to experiencing the tones there, too. :-)

#131080  by Smolder

Thanks Jon.

The more I work with these types of rigs, the more I think the cab needs to be minimal. In avatar vintage cab, there is just too much wood, and it effects the tone of the speaker. I am running a K130 (I had a D130 in it) in a simple, light, pine 1/3 open back cab... and it sound much better. The next step is to try with out the other 2/3rds. I'm thinking four simple sides plus the baffle is key to getting that tone from these JBL's.
 #131084  by ccw3432

I love my SSP 2x12. I'd like to try the 1x12 too for the grab and go appeal. It's so little and cute. Gitchy gitchy goo.
 #131087  by Jon S.

ccw3432 wrote:I love my SSP 2x12.
Well, every man should have one of each, you know. :lol:

#131089  by Tbrogit

I agree that cabinets do make a big difference. It would be cool to hear some a/b sound clips if anyone has some.
 #136053  by Tbrogit

Jon,
Is the 1/4 cab open back? Can you take a pic for me. I'm looking at the ssp site plans and it's not entirely clear.