#127175  by augustwest1

I've spend a couple hours reading a ton of suggestions on these boards, but haven't found the precise information I'm after...

I'm going to build my own 2x12 cabinet and I was to power it with a basic amp head. I'm going for Jerry's 80s tone but without trying to emulate his actual rig -- meaning, the MacIntosh stuff is too spendy for me and I'd like to use new equipment rather than searching out vintage equipment.

So, with those qualifiers, and suggestions as to (a) speakers for the cabinet and (b) amp/head?

Thanks!
 #127178  by tcsned

Something Fender-ish. If you've got the bucks for SMS Classic Twin Preamp you can't go wrong with that. Then some power - I use a MosValve MV962 as a backup now and it's pretty darn nice for the price - mine cost about $135. Rocktron power amps get good reviews here. If you want tubes, hunt eBay for a Boogie 50/50 you can sometimes score those for $400 or so.
 #127296  by mgbills

I love Mesa stuff for this type of application. Mesa preamps can be a little overwhelming to dial in, but they do beautiful cleans an give you lots of minor dirt options.

Some suggestions would be:
1) Mesa Studio Pre - Like a IIB rack unit. w/ Power Amp of choice. Mesa 20/20. Mesa 2:50 or 50:50. Mosvalve 962. Rocktron 300.
2) I like my Mesa TA-15, but it lacks the on-board reverb. If I had to do it over I'd do the TA-30. Low wattage. (5-15-25). Great tone.
3) Mesa V-Twin - Rack-mount. See Studio Pre.

Both the Rack-mount Mesa's are no longer in production, but can be found on EvilBay or Craigslist regularly. I saw a Studio Pre go for under $400 last week.

Nice stuff for a 2x12. Hope this helps.

Peace
M
 #127300  by Tennessee Jedi

I am going Sarno Pre amp-> Mosvalve-> 1x12 w Commonwealth
Sounds like this
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/943 ... assidy.mp3
Looks like this

Cant get much cheaper than this rig ( ? ) ... mostly " new " materials .... Mosvalve ... solid state / should last a long time
SMS ... new ... doesnt have the issues my old Twin did w aging components
Cab - hand built w/ a new speaker
Gets pretty close
Just swapped out the Commonwealth to a JBL but dont have any recordings yet
 #127301  by Jon S.

I don't get how owning a real McI is so expensive. I bought a MC50 in fine cosmetic condition off of eBay for $400. Then I spent another $400 updating and upgrading it. If I'd done just the updating and not the upgrades (IEC cord, on/off switch, 1/4" input and output jacks), I could have spent less and had a fully serviced MC50 for under $600. A new Rocktron Velocity 300 is, today, $375 at best (most places more). A new SMS Classic Preamp is $695.
 #127302  by tcsned

I forgot about the V-Twin and the other Mesa preamps. I've got a V-Twin rack pre that I used to gig with till it caught fire at a gig . . . but kept working till I disconnected the power. It has some cool features like the clean/distorted blend feature.
 #127304  by mgbills

And please don't misunderstand me...I have an SMS & a couple of Mc's.
I was merely making the point that there may be some opportunafishes out there to score some great gear...that'll do Jerry awesomely...that will pull a few less coconuts ($). I really shouldn't have listed the new Mesa TA's, as they certainly aren't cheap.

If you can swing the Sarno Pre with any of the power amps listed...you'll be stoked.
 #127310  by NSP

+1 on the MosValve MV962 - SMS combo

I love my MC250, but man, for the price the MosValve is a great amp for back-up or primary. For rehearsals or certain gigs I'll just grab the rack with my SMS and 962 and a 1x12, compact and sounds great. Just like TJ's rig above.
 #127335  by TI4-1009

And you won't be happy without a JBL, just accept that from the git-go. No cutting corners there.

I run my Mesa Lonestar clean channel into a 10x12 cab with JBL Ks. Tastes Gr-r-r-eat! (oh, and the Phiga Tiger with Super IIs and OBEL doesn't hurt either...) :-)
 #127336  by Tennessee Jedi

TI4-1009 wrote:And you won't be happy without a JBL, just accept that from the git-go. No cutting corners there.

I run my Mesa Lonestar clean channel into a 10x12 cab with JBL Ks. Tastes Gr-r-r-eat! (oh, and the Phiga Tiger with Super IIs and OBEL doesn't hurt either...) :-)
10 x 12 ?????
:shock:
 #127337  by tcsned

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:And you won't be happy without a JBL, just accept that from the git-go. No cutting corners there.

10 x 12 ?????
:shock:
Woot! That would make Jerry envious! :cool: :cool: :cool:
 #127350  by TI4-1009

Silly boys- a cab with one 10" and one 12" JBL K. The best of both worlds.