#121521  by Jerry1996x

Anyone tried this? Im leaning towards E110s since they are cheaper than Ks, and would clip easier than E120s. Opinions?

ON A SIDE NOTE: Would a Gauss 4583 15" speaker do a good Bob tone? I know he used em, but just wanted to ask since he used 10"s.
 #121523  by Smolder

The E110's are harsh to me (I moved mine to vocal wedges)... I much prefer the K or the D110. The 110 is about as close to the 12 as you will get, but it's not perfect. I have a D in a princeton and it;s great. But in the vibrolux, I ended up with a weber new and a california. Not quite as Jerry like as the X110, but the amp sounds better over all. In other threads, the assessment seemed to be the 3" vs 4" voice coil makes a significant difference. Hope that helps.
 #121524  by Jerry1996x

Would you say they are harsh compared to E120s? I know they are harsher than Ks, im planning on eventually getting K120s for my 2x12. I was thinking the Ks would give me the 70s tone i love, but the E110s would get me in the 80s ballpark without blowing my eardrums.
 #121526  by Smolder

no doubt. I absolutely prefer the alnico's... much sweeter - I prefer the sound of Jerry in the late 60's and 70's, and I'm admittedly not trying to nail the Jerry tone exactly. That said, it's a huge huge influence on what I'm doing. I have three E120's and I'm not playing guitar through them.
 #121553  by JonnyBoy

I was considering the E-110's too, I have had a great time using the K-110 2x10 cab with my jerry rig. I have always been scared to use them too much or too hard though, original cones and all. They do push easier, and are brighter than a k120. Maybe its just a lack of lower end in relativity. I never got around to my E-110 stack, but I am sure they are a great high efficent speaker. For lower volumes, my k-110 cab sounds great, but when I say lower volumes, its still pretty loud. For a real Jerry experience the K120/E120 is really the way to go, the subtle difference across the sound spectrum is there. But still, a k-110 is an awesome speaker. I can't see the E-110 being bad.

I am very intrigued with the D-123 for low power JBL tone. That seems to be a pretty smart choice for a low powered rig.