#115328  by cmc64

I am currently using a Fender SuperChamp X2 15 Watt Combo Amp and I have a line on a nice JBL K-110 which I was thinking of placing in my amp. I have a pair of E-120's on the way - I am slowly piecing together my dream rig but my income only warrants the baby-step process so I pick up what I can when I can. Anyway, I know the 15 Watt amp in not enough to properly drive even one E-120 but how about a single K-110? The amp came with a Fender 10" Special Design speaker - will the 15 Watts be enough to properly drive the K-110?

Thanks!
 #115363  by JonnyBoy

A 15 watt tube amp loves a JBL K-10. My buddy's AC-15 has two 50 watt 10" speakers and it sings. You don't wanna push an old k110 past 60-70 watts. You can get the speaker to push with 15 watts when you crank it, but it will be loud as hell. My k110's paper is really brittle and original cones, they need reconed badly. So I don't ever push them hard. If yours has a recent recone go for it.
 #115367  by cmc64

Well, I lost the K-110. It was beautiful but it was an ebay auction and I lost it in the last 2 seconds. Just wasn't able to type fast enough. O well.

Since I have a pair of E-120's on the way (and they really are on the way) can a 15 Watt Amp drive one? I can put together a 1x12 enclosure until I upgrade, so is this doable or does the 15Watt just not provide enough power?

Lastly, can my 15Watt drive an E-110? I have found a few of those as well,

Thanks!
 #115370  by JonnyBoy

A 30 watt amp is only roughly 1db louder than a 15 watt amp. Once you put a sensitive JBL in there it will give you way more volume per watt. I would try a single 12" and a JBL E110 sound cool too. You can get real loud and have a super clean tone with them. I think a 12" speaker gives me a fuller Jerry tone through my experiments you may need to EQ a little with the 10" speakers...
 #115372  by cmc64

JonnyBoy wrote:A 30 watt amp is only roughly 1db louder than a 15 watt amp. Once you put a sensitive JBL in there it will give you way more volume per watt. I would try a single 12" and a JBL E110 sound cool too. You can get real loud and have a super clean tone with them. I think a 12" speaker gives me a fuller Jerry tone through my experiments you may need to EQ a little with the 10" speakers...
Well that about sums it up. I will save my $$ and and skip the E/K-110's and use one of my JBL E-120's with my 15 Watt SuperChamp and I'll sit on the other one until I can upgrade my amp and afford a 2x12 cab. Thanks so much!