#105256  by Jon S.

Curious what y'all think of this speaker - not only for Dead music but generally. Weight is a concern of mine for various reasons. In the SSP Jerry 2X12 I use with my Dead band, I presently have one Jensen Neo 12-100 and one Weber NeoMag. I started out with two NeoMags but found the tonetoo thin that way. Until last week, I'd been very happy with the Jensen + Weber combination, however, the Weber just developed nasty cone cry (as too many Webers do, it would seem from what I've read about them on various forums). So I'm considering now going with two of the Jensen Neos even though they're not JBL-voiced. Is anyone else using this speaker and if so what's your take? Thanks.
 #105261  by Staemius

I put one in my Boogie IIa a couple of months ago and slid the Peavey Black Widow into an extension cab. Phew, that Boogie was a freakin anchor and is now much more manageable to lug around, lol. The Jensen is still breaking in - I really like it, I think it is a great sounding speaker but it can be a bit bassy for a true Jerry tone. I'm not trying to nail Jerry's tone but I have considered another speaker. Not to highjack your thread but if you or others have ideas on a nice lighter weight JBL style speaker I'd like to hear some ideas - seems the Weber Cali doesn't quite cut it. FWIW, I've known folks to put the Jensen Neos in a twin cabinet and they've been very happy with the results.
 #105311  by Jon S.

Staemius wrote:I really like it, I think it is a great sounding speaker but it can be a bit bassy for a true Jerry tone.
Actually, I think much of the bass can be "dialed out" via the amp. What cannot be are the fuller,more balanced mids - particularly the lower mids - but what can I say, this is actually among the aspects of the speaker I like the most.
Staemius wrote:Not to highjack your thread but if you or others have ideas on a nice lighter weight JBL style speaker I'd like to hear some ideas - seems the Weber Cali doesn't quite cut it. FWIW, I've known folks to put the Jensen Neos in a twin cabinet and they've been very happy with the results.
No prob! But from what I've read here and elsewhere, I think the closest current neo candidate is the Weber NeoMag and, like I said up front, I dig the way mine sounds but it just seems like cone cry and Weber go together like pancakes and syrup.

P.S. I read on some other forums where some folks compared the Jensen Neo 12-100 to how an EV sounds. I really can't comment, though, I sold the last amp I had with one (a Rivera-era Fender Concert) a decade and a half ago.
 #105313  by Staemius

Yeah, you're right - more low middy than bassy. Funny, I was thinking hard of picking up a Weber Cali just before you posted this! Didn't realize the cone cry was such a problem.
 #105322  by Jon S.

It might not be for that model. I certainly don't want to tar and feather all Weber speakers based on only my own limited experience or a non-statistical sample of forum guys. And I do have one of their Ceramic Blue Dogs right now in my Bandmaster clone - it sounds wonderful, one of the best speakers I've owned.