#100312  by wolftigerrosebud

So, I'm browsing through the e120 search results on Ebay, and I come across this: http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-E120-16-12-Guit ... _659wt_835

I wonder if any of the people here who know so much about speakers would think this is worthwhile? If it sounds like an original E120, it's a very reasonable price for it. Is there any way to know? Do E120s reconed with non-original recone kits have a reputation for inconsistency in quality?
 #100313  by hippieguy1954

Shouldn't be any problems. He is a highly ranked seller and sells many speakers and parts and recone kits too! He has a whole store and I don't think he would still be in business and ranked so high if his products and skills at reconning sucked lol! All his prices are good. I did notice that the E120's are 16 ohm. If that is what your looking for, it looks like a good deal.
 #100333  by wolftigerrosebud

Well, I'd have to get or build a 2x12 cab (time to look at some of the schems over in the building subforum...), but it would work. Anyway, thanks for pointing out his success as an Ebay seller -- as obvious as it seems, it went right by me that his work is obviously well-liked. I assume it would be a real E120 sound, at least I hope. Thanks for the help.
 #100335  by playingdead

I'm sure he's a stand-up seller, but I wouldn't touch an E-120 with an aftermarket recone kit. The factory kits alone are $180 and you get what you pay for.

I was sold a "freshly reconed" E-120 on eBay a few years ago, it was an aftermarket kit, which I realized immediately, because it was not the JBL grey but a smoother darker paper cone. It was a spare speaker for me, and when I needed it, it froze up during the first set at stage volumes. The aftermarket kit could not handle the power the way the real deal can. I don't know if it was the cone or the coil, but it didn't last.
 #100342  by hippieguy1954

playingdead wrote:I'm sure he's a stand-up seller, but I wouldn't touch an E-120 with an aftermarket recone kit. The factory kits alone are $180 and you get what you pay for.

I was sold a "freshly reconed" E-120 on eBay a few years ago, it was an aftermarket kit, which I realized immediately, because it was not the JBL grey but a smoother darker paper cone. It was a spare speaker for me, and when I needed it, it froze up during the first set at stage volumes. The aftermarket kit could not handle the power the way the real deal can. I don't know if it was the cone or the coil, but it didn't last.
Good point, Playingdead!
I would contact the seller and discuss what recone kit he is using and if he waranties his work. This seller's world is speakers. Also, I've heard of some aftermarket kits that are available now that are in spec with the JBL factory kits and as long as he is skillful will work fine.

As far as cabinets go, there are many available. Just google it. You need to decide if you want pine, birch plywood, finished with tolex or stained wood etc..
Here is a link to a very reasonably priced speaker cab builder. http://www.thecabguy.com/index.php He (as far as my research shows) has the best price for cabs finished with tolex. You can save a little more with an unfinished cab (pine or birch plywood), but only about $10 or $20. Then there are a couple of cab companies such as Hard Truckers, that are made of heavy duty 3/4" 7 layer plywoods for about $500.
 #100755  by zambiland

Just for an experiment, I got a K120 reconed by Parts Express for $60. I beat the crap out of it (ie. bass at high volume in a Joe's Speaker and Salami Thiele box) and it still works fine. I haven't put it up against a stock K120 directly, but it does have the character I look for in a JBL and for $60, it's hard to go wrong. Purists might disagree.