#160498  by wleeds

hey all
anyone using JBL E110's?
Looking to put some in a 69 Vibrolux reverb

Thoughts?
 #160515  by Jon S.

These are D-series voiced, not E, but if you're OK with that tonality and also want to use relatively lighter speakers (relative to E's), you could try Weber NeoMags. I have a pair of 10" NeoMags in my TRM 2X10 HT-style cab now, and a D-120 in my FYD Jerry combo amp. I wouldn't call them literally identical but they're in the same ballpark.
 #160519  by wleeds

Jon S. wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm These are D-series voiced, not E, but if you're OK with that tonality and also want to use relatively lighter speakers (relative to E's), you could try Weber NeoMags. I have a pair of 10" NeoMags in my TRM 2X10 HT-style cab now, and a D-120 in my FYD Jerry combo amp. I wouldn't call them literally identical but they're in the same ballpark.
Hey Jon
I think we had part of this discussion a couple of years ago....
I tried the neomags and found them very shrill, ice picky in 'this' amp. Since moved on.
At the moment i have Eminence 1028k's and the amp is biased nicely with good tubes and caps. I have an opportunity to have some E110's reconed however I want them.

I have JBL D120's(red basket) in an old twin and an original D120 in a 66BFDR - this is my main amp. Though I'm in need of a bit more amp these days, thus Vibrolux.

I'd be interested in hearing clips of yours...
thx
m
 #160529  by Jon S.

Yikes, I'd forgotten about the earlier discussion! I have very few clips of my playing - I should have recorded more, I know. I don't have any of my current 10" NeoMags. However, I can share a somewhat old video (2010) of me playing through a SSP 2X12 cab with a pair of NeoMags. I don't have that cab anymore, I sold and replaced it with 2 SSP 1X12s that currently both have JBLs. Try a few seconds at the start and then a bit of my 1st lead at 4:00 for an idea of how the NeoMags sounded in that rig, taking into account the recording mic was a good 40' away. The preamp in the rig was a SMS TR preamp and power amp a Rocktron Velocity 300 (also since sold and replaced with a Carvin DCM200L). And BTW (though it'll be obvious), I'm no pro. I'm simply another "weekend warrior" who just enjoys playing Dead. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N41SOGs4GGU
 #160644  by wleeds

i have 2 being reconed now, should be done in week. very psyched

i installed 2 x e110 (16ohm each) as a test/evaluation, and sounded pretty darn good. This amp is 4ohm so we'll get them back at 8ohm each.