#141573  by moonliner

Hello Good People,

I posted this in the Garage Sale section but figured this might be a good place too...

I'm on a quest for Phil tone and vibe. I'm currently having Alembic work up a Guild Starfire which could be done any month now (I hope). This has me daydreaming of McIntosh poweramps..... are they crazy rare and expensive?
While I'm chatting, I currently play through 2 BagEnd 15's which I'm pretty happy with, but I continue to daydream.... my own little (VERY little) slice of the WOS would be fun. Are there any cab makers that come to mind?

Thanks!
 #141656  by zambiland

Mac amps are out there and are pretty expensive, but while they aren't crazy rare, they are crazy heavy. I know I'm much too old to be carrying them around. I abandoned my Crest CA9, which is half the weight (and twice the power) and am now using a Peavey IPR3000 which sounds fine to me and weighs 7 lbs.

Your Bag End cabs should be somewhat close to WOS speakers. Sonicus over at the Alembic forum has the full range from Bag End to Alembic to actual WOS speakers. He'd be a good person to talk to. While I bet they sound great, I'm sure the size and weight are also pretty high.

How many roadies do you have?

:cool:
 #141720  by moonliner

Yes.... I think the McIntosh would get old very fast! I think I was still in actual dreamland when I was considering carrying one of those things around. I have a red knob F2B on the way and got caught up in the fantasy of having the Alembic/Guild bass playing through the F2B, powered by the McIntosh..... The blue VU's were hypnotizing me! :D

So, the Peavey gives you punchy tone and strong, satisfying low end?
 #141722  by ccw3432

I don't know a lot about Phil's rigs, but a lot of the Jerry players here are using the smaller Mcintosh power amps. They are much lighter and less expensive. The MC250 works great for me (and plenty of power) but if I were to do it again I'd get the MC50 since it's a little smaller and lighter yet. They can be found for a reasonable price if you look around or check out ebay. There's lots of threads here that go into the different models in more detail that I'd recommend checking out before you purchase. Some do have the blue meters, but more weight comes with it.
 #141749  by zambiland

moonliner wrote:Yes.... I think the McIntosh would get old very fast! I think I was still in actual dreamland when I was considering carrying one of those things around. I have a red knob F2B on the way and got caught up in the fantasy of having the Alembic/Guild bass playing through the F2B, powered by the McIntosh..... The blue VU's were hypnotizing me! :D

So, the Peavey gives you punchy tone and strong, satisfying low end?
The Peavey sounds great. Bridged, I don't hear any difference in punch and low end from my monster QSC into a single cabinet. Stereo into two cabinets, it works quite well, also. If you go over to TalkBass, you'll find some reggae players using it and they are definitely into low end.

The only thing about bridging it is that you have to build a special speaker cable and jumper the inputs. The DSP models and the Crest versions have much easier ways to do it (push a button!).

The smaller mac amps, even the 2105, which was my bass amp in high school, definitely don't have enough headroom for bass, unless you play particularly quietly.
 #141784  by mijknahs

Yeah, you'll need an MC2300 for bass. For guitar I find I need 100 watts so I have an MC100 that is perfect.