#111627  by AKdead

Tried to search for this but could not find an answer. Just got an old 5 string bass and I may replace the pups. What would anyone recommend as pups good for Phil's current sound with Furthur? I realize the pups are only one factor of many but what would be a good place to start, assuming that Phil's pups are custom? I am thinking EMGs, but which soap bar (4 ") version? Thanks for your thoughts.
 #111694  by AKdead

Thanks Rusty. I guess my problem is that there are so many different EMG bass models, I am trying to figure out which to get. Not sure what the "stock, regular" model is.
 #111699  by Rusty the Scoob

Judging by this excellent site: http://www.bestbassgear.com/emg-pickups.htm I think the DC model is the original. I definitely prefer my EMGs at 18V if you can fit two batteries in, even better if you can fit Lithiums.

Great place to buy parts, at least two or three of my basses have electronics from there. They're great with answering questions too.
 #112067  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I'd go with whatever EMGs fit the cavities that are in the bass already. As far as I know, Phil uses stock, regular EMGs, not any of the new fancy variations.
From what I understand, he's using custom wound EMGs with different wire, different wire spacing, different chip, etc. Basically the DC model but apparently with a twangier mid. Mike Gordon got a pair but I guess he hasn't used them on stage as he felt they don't really have the dynamic range the regular DC model does.
 #112157  by zambiland

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Thanks for the updated info!

I wonder why he doesn't just EQ some twanginess into his mids if that's what he wants. I suppose the answer is "because he's Phil". :lol:
He is indeed!
 #112158  by Bassman

This quote is form the Modulus rep that deals with Phil, taken form the Bass Player Magazine article "Anthem of the Tone" , I believe from 2010"

"Phil’s previous Quantum 6’s had EMG pickups, but when trying out some alternates, he fell in love with Bartolinis. The new Quantum will have a Bartolini NTMB circuit with five knobs: volume, blend, bass, mid, and treble. (Phil doesn’t like the stacked knobs standard on the NTMB.) He also asked for an unusual detent on the master-volume control, although that presented serious problems for the Modulus production team. Although Phil’s previous Quantum had piezo pickups, he decided they’re too much of a headache to include in the new bass."
 #112195  by zambiland

Bassman wrote:This quote is form the Modulus rep that deals with Phil, taken form the Bass Player Magazine article "Anthem of the Tone" , I believe from 2010"

"Phil’s previous Quantum 6’s had EMG pickups, but when trying out some alternates, he fell in love with Bartolinis. The new Quantum will have a Bartolini NTMB circuit with five knobs: volume, blend, bass, mid, and treble. (Phil doesn’t like the stacked knobs standard on the NTMB.) He also asked for an unusual detent on the master-volume control, although that presented serious problems for the Modulus production team. Although Phil’s previous Quantum had piezo pickups, he decided they’re too much of a headache to include in the new bass."
I don't think the Barts took. I just put Barts back into my Lakland JO5. Great pickups!
However, Modulus and EMG just seem to go together. I'd love to try an Alembic SII setup, though!
 #112332  by Bassman

zambiland wrote:
Bassman wrote:This quote is form the Modulus rep that deals with Phil, taken form the Bass Player Magazine article "Anthem of the Tone" , I believe from 2010"

I don't think the Barts took. I just put Barts back into my Lakland JO5. Great pickups!
However, Modulus and EMG just seem to go together. I'd love to try an Alembic SII setup, though!
Yeah, I agree with the EMG's and Modulus relationship. My current Q5 has EMGs and they cut through the mix better than the Barts I ahd on a previous Modulus. I would dig trying the Alembic SII as well.