#55882  by strumminsix

You can hear it here:
http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-07- ... efail.shnf

It has a really great Weir tone which to my ears is reminiscent of the late 70s:
Bright - not piercing, medium tone - not thin and a cool edge to it with tons of flavor!

Despite being Modulus I see he has the pickups same as Cowboy HSH with the single really close to the bridge.

So, who knows about this one?
 #55915  by strumminsix

jdsmodulus wrote:I believe the "no fun" guitar really is a sticker that used to say "no fur" he changed the sticker. that was a big slogan around that time. Its a modulus for sure.
I'm with ya about the saying but that is a capital N. A lower case r can easily convert to a lower case n but not upper case R N without much more work.
 #56089  by mkaufman

You rang???

Actually, I know very little about Weir's Modulus guitars. Not sure I want to know...too much on my plate already! :roll:

I grew up primarily on the later 70's music. Went to tons of shows '76-'81. Then tailed off. Still saw shows, but not as much. I never desired a Modulus...certainly no where near as much as an Ibanez, so I'm WAY into vintage Ibanez gear. I guess if the right opportunity arose, I might bite.

However...I now own an '86 Ibanez PL1880. Looks like a Modulus with hippie sandwich layered wood. A real beauty. This guitar has 3 pups (H/S/S) each with an on/off toggle, plus a tap on the bridge humbucker pup and it's all stock! So, I can run and combination of pups just like the Cowboy or Modulus. Sound familiar! I love the way it plays - more like a strat than anything else. This sucker came near mint condition and I used live.com's CashBack to save 25%!

Anyway - I may try some alternate pups: vintage Ibanez, EMG's, etc.

Wish I knew how to upload pics...

mk
 #56095  by strumminsix

Wow, she's a beaut, mk! Congrats on that win! My old favorite is getting new pickup wiring:
series > parallel > single on one toggle, then a push-pull tone knob for out of phase

Can't wait to see what this is gonna be like...
 #58725  by strumminsix

Well, here's what I've got:

Absolutely amazing. I can honestly say my tone has desired that mixed series with parallel sound for some time.
Oh, and the out of phase! w00t! Amazing. Has a filter effect result. Perfect for Scarlet!