#139400  by Forgotten Space

Hi All,

I was looking at the schematic for Bobby's blackknife posted by Dozin, http://dozin.com/bobs/guitars/modulus/s ... agram.html

The schematic calls for the EMG 85/SLV combination. I have seen a alot of posts suggesting SA's instead. Has anyone tried the 85/SLV combination? I also plan on installing the SPC control. My guess is that the SA's would offer one more flexibility in tone.

I have an old Ibanez PL1770, where I installed EMG Humbuckers many years ago. I am ready for a change. I have a semi hollow body for other era's, I want this one to try and get some of those 80's tones.

Jon
 #139402  by Dozin

don't use the 85. That's what was in the Weir signatures. Use an 89 if you have to use a humbucker. The 89 is 4 conductor so you can split it. The 85 has no options. Otherwise, use all SA Single coils.
What's your routed out pickup option?
 #139405  by Forgotten Space

Thanks!. It was originally H/S/S. So, I am all set to make the change. I agree on the 89 vs. the 85 as well. Even more flexibility. I will take your advice on the SA's.

Jon
 #139407  by Forgotten Space

One last question, you mention all SA's vs. the 89/SA/SA combination. What is optimal in your opinion? What is the downside of the humbucker. I am not married to having the 89 in the setup.

I appreciate your wisdom in this matters!

Jon
 #139415  by Dozin

Forgotten Space wrote:One last question, you mention all SA's vs. the 89/SA/SA combination. What is optimal in your opinion? What is the downside of the humbucker. I am not married to having the 89 in the setup.

I appreciate your wisdom in this matters!

Jon
It all depends on what your guitar is routed for. If it's a humbucker the 89 is perfect. You want to be in all single coils anyway. The 85 is too flat, IMO, which is an 89 in humbucker mode.
 #139416  by Dozin

Quebee wrote:Is there a viable option w Emg's for a guitar routed for 2 humbuckers?
Jon, are you In Forgotten Space?
Thanks,
Kevin
Only 2 humbuckers? I haven't been there with EMGs. I've always had a single coil in the middle. I would use 2 89s