rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#160167  by franklins_timmy
 Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 am
When did Jerry start using an OD pedal and what was it? Was it in 74 and the Distortion +? Really like 73/74 and 77/78 tone, Alligator & Wolf. Looking for a low gain OD to get that tone when he had a little hair to it. Outside of the Earth Drive and Distortion + what would be some recommendations? Looked through past threads and saw some other options but maybe there is something new. Have been looking at the Timmy, Liquid Sunshine, DOD 250, BF Honey Bee, MP Sweet Honey....
 #160169  by rugger
 Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 am
Why not get the Earth Drive? It was made for what you want...and you're supporting Brad, a contributing member of this forum!

Alas, if the Earth Drive is not your thing for whatever reason, I would think many "open," "transparent" low gain OD's could get you there. Of your list I have only used the Timmy--hard to go wrong with this one. It's inexpensive and very versatile.

For lead tones from that era I think you need to stick with the Dist + or something in that vein (Solar Flare).

john in san diego
 #160172  by franklins_timmy
 Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:38 pm
Well, I guess because I'd rather not spend $200+ on a pedal especially since I'm not playing gigs. Also, be it a slight/small chance, I might not like the way it works for me. I realize the re-sale for it is good. Would love to have an Earth Drive and support Brad. That may be the case, but was just wondering about other options for a guy just playing at home having fun. Thanks for the info about the Timmy and other pedals, most appreciated.

Tim
 #160173  by Jimv
 Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 pm
I do not have one, but I have heard really good things about the Timmy as an inexpensive pedal.
My experience in this area has left me somewhat frustrated. I have a bunch of 100 dollar or so "clean" OD pedals that I dont like. Out of all of them, I liked the EHX soulfood the best. I recently started buying some used/vintage pedals and the savings can be huge. Guitar center will stand behind used pedals to a degree. I've also had great luck on reverb. Of course the garage sale....Got a silver box qtron that was like brand new off of reverb ! Good luck on the quest for that magic dirt... It isn't a super easy thing to achieve, IMHO, because a bit of his sound was dirt from other elements of his rig being pushed just so. Some of us are trying to achieve that w pedals, or combinations of them.
franklins_timmy liked this
 #160176  by gratefulredhead
 Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 pm
I bought a Whirlwind Rochester series Gold box last year and LOVE it. You can hear your clean signal under the grit. It is manufactured by the man who started MXR back in the day, after he sold the company. It's a hand-wired copy of the first MXR script logo distortion, which is what Jerry used in the mid 70s. And it's less than $100. Seriously, you should get it. I've been searching for the sound for a couple of decades, tried untold distortion pedals. This is the one.
 #160184  by kurt eye
 Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:17 pm
I like my boss turbo overdrive for subtle dirt. In my orginal set up, I had a single coil strat, stratoblaster pedal, boss turbo overdrive, earth drive and a boss HM2 heavy metal distortion pedal. I wound up selling the earth drive, because I liked the subtle dirt tone I got out of the turbo overdrive.

When I switched to an OBEL setup with a CAE buffer, my boss overdrive pedals sounded completely different, the distortion was heavy and I could no longer dial in that subtle dirt. I'm guessing that if I had kept the earth drive it would have sounded excellent in the buffered OBEL setup.

FYI
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Boss-Japa ... SwDkVaXYAB
 #160190  by PurpleTrails
 Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 pm
Another option is an OCD. Like it better than my soul food, though it is more expensive. Lots of them out there on the used market, but I've been told that the version 2.0 that came out last year is a substantial upgrade.

FWIW, I've also run an MXR classic OD (too much hair/not transparent enough), a dano TOD (which is a timmy knockoff), a BYOC yellow overdrive (which is a clone of the boss OD-1) and a dist+. The OCD is the best of the bunch by a pretty wide margin. The dist+ is still on my board for more of a distortion effect, but is probably my least favorite pedal, and one I hardly use.
 #160196  by gratefulredhead
 Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 am
franklins_timmy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm
@gratefulredhead is this the one? It does look pretty good.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... tion-pedal
Have watched your vids, great playin' and tone man! If you have the time and wouldn't mind putting a link to a vid where you're using it? Thanks everybody else too, appreciate the help.
Yes that's the one. Mine was only 90 bucks brand new though...maybe they've gone up in price? Still, it's a great price for what you get.

Thanks for the kind words man! I'll look through my recordings and see if I have one where I'm using it. If not, I can make a little demo recording easily.
 #160201  by gratefulredhead
 Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:01 pm
gratefulredhead wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:49 am
franklins_timmy wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm
@gratefulredhead is this the one? It does look pretty good.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... tion-pedal
Have watched your vids, great playin' and tone man! If you have the time and wouldn't mind putting a link to a vid where you're using it? Thanks everybody else too, appreciate the help.
Yes that's the one. Mine was only 90 bucks brand new though...maybe they've gone up in price? Still, it's a great price for what you get.

Thanks for the kind words man! I'll look through my recordings and see if I have one where I'm using it. If not, I can make a little demo recording easily.
Okay here's a clip. I kick on the Whirlwind at about 3:04. Disclaimer- this isn't our best performance! We are breaking in a new singer for the Bob songs, and he didn't quite have this one down. We also tried to play Comes a Time (having never rehearsed it) and it was a slaughter! Oh well. Some of the jams are fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzUULX3nbV0
 #160215  by franklins_timmy
 Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 pm
Thanks everybody a ton, this has been really helpful. @hippieguy1954 appreciate the heads up. @makuafman not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but will message you to see if you still have it. Thanks for the offer. @gratefulredhead, man thanks for all the insight and taking the time to look through & post a vid.

Tim
gratefulredhead liked this
 #160390  by stealyourblues
 Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:40 pm
Not sure if you moved forward on that OD pedal yet but you may consider a Chinese clone as you mentioned price was a factor (unless you are opposed to that sort of thing, then nevermind my suggestion). Here is a link to a MP Sweet Honey Clone by Joyo. I can’t vouch for it but I know their TS green clone works very well.
https://www.amazon.com/JOYO-JF-36-Joyo- ... B00HB2ZVRC

Take it if you need it, if you don’t just pass it on.

Shootout review Joyo Vs Sweet Honey
https://youtu.be/NIsGX7obQA0

I personally am hampered by low/no cash flow and have been looking at a few Mutron/QTron alternatives to add to my rig. I just play in the garage so my suggestions should be taken with a full grain of salt. Good luck!