Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#160397  by shadowboxer
 Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm
What I've found is that the tone knob and your volume knob on your guitar have a massive effect on your sound with an overdrive or a distortion pedal. If you run your guitar knobs at 10 all the time, then you have a right to get obsessive about which pedal is the right one. But you can really control any pedal with the guitar knobs. Example, too fizzy, turn down the tone knob . Too growly, turn down the volume knob to clean it up.

For all of you with Jerry tribute guitars, this can get tricky because your tone knobs don't act like a normal tone knob.
 #160399  by waldo041
 Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:15 pm
There is no right or wrong, just what works and what does not. If you do not have the same setup as the guy raving or dissing on an effect there could be other parameters at play that give him different results then you.

Jerry played with both a Dirt pedal and an Overdrive pedal. And sometimes both at the same time. Early on he only used the dirt (MXR Script Dist+), but the first Overdrive seen used is the Boss DS-1. His dirt pedal only changes once his entire career to the Boss OD-1 Over Drive. I know it says overdrive, but he used it for dirt like the Dist+ in the same position.

As for Overdrives, he used the Boss DS-1, MXR Series 2000 Dist+, Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal, Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive.

As i eluded to earlier, If your rig is setup much like Jerry's these pedals will react the same as you hear him use them. If you are not getting the same results, other parameters in your rig are not the same. This is true for the vast majority of other effects pedals as well.

Don't want an OBEL, that is cool, but don't expect the same results he got when he used one.

MattMan liked this
 #160408  by jackevorkian
 Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm
Check out the DOD250. I got one on sale from Musicians Friend for $39. Great pedal, similar to a D+