#160094  by RaggedyHobo

I've been searching all over with no luck so I created an account and I'm posting for the first time. I'm trying to figure out the effect settings for that screaming guitar sound (end of "Deal" '89-ish). Is it simply a booster so that the tone still sounds clean but still will feedback and scream with sustain? I can't figure out what my effects and settings need to be.

I play a strat... is it because they aren't humbuckers or have a unity gain?

I play a twin... is it because it's not going through a MC2300?

I currently have a Boss GT10 effects processor and 2-Boss EQ's.... so hopefully it's in there somewhere.

In the past I've had a Distortion +, HM metal pedal, tube screamer along with E120's in the twin at one point.and still couldn't get it. Honestly, I could get close by using a lot of gain and some distortion and an eq pedal but if I'd strum an actual chord it would sound straight up like heavy metal. Not good.

So any advice would be great!

Dank ya (~);} <:::::::#~~~~
 #160095  by TeeJay

Did you try turning the amp up real loud while the dist+ was kicked on?
 #160099  by PurpleTrails

I push my twin using a BYOC FET preamp pedal. Of course, that adds up to 24 db of gain coming in the front end, which isn't going to make your sound man happy. :lol:

Does wonders for the sustain and the modulation on the back end of my pedal train as well.

Don't think you really need to move to a humbucker to pull it off, but you might also be able to position yourself on stage so that you're on the edge of triggering feedback from your speaker. That's how guys like Trey, Carlos and BB King have boosted their sustain without adding a ton of gain. When you want more sustain you turn more into your speaker or move just a hair closer.
 #160100  by playingdead

Other guys here are more up on the year-to-year gear -- Waldo? -- but I believe that might have been a Boss OD-2R with the "turbo" feature turned on. The rest of it is more about the intense volume levels he played at, everyone knows that backwards "wolf whistle" of feedback he would get when he turned it up, and he would usually turn slightly away from his speakers to shield the guitar a bit.

If you can, put your Twin angled back and facing you like a vocal monitor, that will allow your pickups to interact with the speakers at lower volume levels.
 #160106  by RaggedyHobo

Actually, it's a Meyer sound system. Lol, we're a pretty fortunate band. He prefers to have full control out front plus I get fed my extra guitar volume through my monitor so I'm fine playing at 2-3.

But now it has me thinking of trying a Turbo ODr before switching to SDS II's.
 #160109  by Lephty

You could try the Trey Anastasio trick of cranking up the OD and putting a compressor AFTER the OD in the chain to squash it down to a reasonable volume level. The GT10 should be able to do this for you.
 #160123  by Blacklodgebob

tap the preamp on the twin and use a carvin dcm200l ss power amp to push your speakers - that way you can hit the preamp a little harder without blowing the roof off.

your hearing the preamp cook - so yeah youve got too big an amp for what your doing.

Another way of doing it would be to get a very expensive compressor pedal, like this one (https://reverb.com/item/7284005-crazy-t ... essor-demo), and set the attack as low as possible, so that basically the pedal is always on, early in your signal chain, and barely noticeable . This essentially a studio quality compressor, so its not going to squish / shit your signal like a little dyna comp or whatever. So yeah barely on, and then turn it off if you want use any envelope filters, or play around with your output input sensitivity on those types of pedals. The golden ratio does a great job of emulating power amp Sag on my Carvin with a FYD preamp at lower volumes.

Hope that helps
 #160124  by strumminsix

RaggedyHobo wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:07 pm Actually, it's a Meyer sound system. Lol, we're a pretty fortunate band. He prefers to have full control out front plus I get fed my extra guitar volume through my monitor so I'm fine playing at 2-3.

But now it has me thinking of trying a Turbo ODr before switching to SDS II's.
That's a professional mindset for great band and audience experience. Here are some non-traditional ideas, use at your own risk:
1) lower wattage amp and place in front of you and tilted upward like a monitor with a sound shield behind it
2) Maxon makes a sustainer and distortion pedal that is just marvelous
3) A limiter can be helpful to create a sustain in a more organic and less squashed way than a compressor pedal
 #160133  by TI4-1009

Just remember that Jerry did it VERY LOUD, so anything you come up with will just be a workaround. Close, but not the cigar.