#160141  by joethepainter

Jimv wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:18 am Thanks Joe. I have that pedal. Good to hear I am heading in the right direction. Im kinda picky about clean overdrive so between the soul food and the earth drive maybe I'll get what im looking for. Seems like many of those pedals add upper mid. I love the soulfood through blues jr. When I used it through a ss fender, not so nice. When the sms comes I'll give it another go. Super hopeful about the earth drive too. Building the rack and speaker box now.... hehe
To go furthur (ha), the reason I ended up going with the Soul Food was, I didn't want to tie up any other boost or dirt pedals as an 'always on' solution, and the SF (after tweaking with my rig), is getting the job done on the cheap, as it were.
The SF is out of the OBEL, as is my DD-3 delay. In the loop is an old original green label EHX Q-Tron, and 2 TS9's, one original, one Analogman modded. I've been messing around with a Zoom MS-100BT for phase and octave, still a work in progress.
Did I mention that I love dicking around with gear? :-)
My point is, I don't want to have a $200+ pedal as an always on, no changes, solution. The Earth Drive is too awesome to do that to. IMO.
 #160154  by Jimv

Awesome. I kinda feel like I hijacked Mikes post. I got super excited to hear about another small rig being born as I work on mine..... Thats all very interesting.... hmmmm more questions... I think I might start another thread on some of this... might not be till tomorrow. I grew up in Philly. 7-10-87, 17 years old. Hello Philly!

Kinda love to hear more about the small rig after he works it out a bit....
 #160161  by Funky145

@mikelawson, nice rig! Do you think there would be enough clearance for an FYD preamp in the rack?
 #160164  by Jon S.

Jimv wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm I kinda feel like I hijacked Mikes post. I got super excited to hear about another small rig being born as I work on mine.....
Threads are like trips - they flow where they will. It's one thing to hijack someone's rig thread into unrelated politics or whatnot, but when one person's new rig gets another person even more excited about further pursuing his own, in my own threads, I dig that! :peas:
Jimv liked this
 #160170  by mikelawson

I would think so, but if you find yourself with too little breathing room for it, simply rackmount the power conditioner on the back of the rack instead of the front. They are not very deep,
 #160198  by Bigfoot Co.

mikelawson wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm
Bigfoot Co. wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 pm Nice one. Is that a 6u rack? Also, Is the mc50 secured to the rack?
Yes, 6U rack, and the MC50 is secured to a 2U rack shelf. There is a breakout box behind it, also secured to the rack shelf, with the speaker out jacks and a variable OHM setting.
Thank you mikelawson for the tip on the 2u rack shelf. I've always wondered how folks have secured their macs inside their rack units. Mystery solved and good info for the future (don't have the mac quite yet).
 #160208  by Jedstein

Bigfoot Co. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:25 am
mikelawson wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm
Bigfoot Co. wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:35 pm Nice one. Is that a 6u rack? Also, Is the mc50 secured to the rack?
Yes, 6U rack, and the MC50 is secured to a 2U rack shelf. There is a breakout box behind it, also secured to the rack shelf, with the speaker out jacks and a variable OHM setting.
Thank you mikelawson for the tip on the 2u rack shelf. I've always wondered how folks have secured their macs inside their rack units. Mystery solved and good info for the future (don't have the mac quite yet).
+1 on this. Looks great. I have the exact same size rack and I will putting the exact same gear into it (after I get my SMS back from Waldo!). Dumb question of the day: where does one get a 2u rack shelf?