#159952  by WokeUpDead

I've got a super reverb, a twin reverb, a mesa mark IV, and a blues deluxe. These are all really loud amps..Do all you guys with your twins and macintosh's and 2x12 cabs really get to utilize that power? I am considering maybe a deluxe reverb for those situations where I've got to play inside some of the smaller bars and such.

Any other suggestions out there? How would say a SMS preamp and a solid state amp perform tone wise if I just turned it down to a manageable level for the space? The amps I have need to be fairly loud to start sounding good.
 #159955  by Tennessee Jedi

WokeUpDead wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 pm I've got a super reverb, a twin reverb, a mesa mark IV, and a blues deluxe. These are all really loud amps..Do all you guys with your twins and macintosh's and 2x12 cabs really get to utilize that power? I am considering maybe a deluxe reverb for those situations where I've got to play inside some of the smaller bars and such.

Any other suggestions out there? How would say a SMS preamp and a solid state amp perform tone wise if I just turned it down to a manageable level for the space? The amps I have need to be fairly loud to start sounding good.

I went the SMS route paired w a Mosvalve and JBL 1 x 12
it sounds good- still loud though
always my downfall- too loud
:D
hippieguy1954 liked this
 #159960  by aiq

'68 bassman head into 1x12 closed or Rocket cab Memphis 1x12 open back. The Rocket has a panel to close it off if I want.

I have a recent score, Deluxe-Amp. Smaller and lighter than a Deluxe-Reverb. I love this amp, the Bassman too.

I use a reverb pedal anyway.

Taking them both to Fla with me for a gig in March.
brbadg liked this
 #159964  by franklins_timmy

I've wondered if it would be possible to create an almost identical replica of of a Fender Twin in much lower watts 20, 30 at the most? Same circuit, tone stack, 6l6s etc... ? The Blues Jr., Deluxe Reverb and Princetin Reverb do a really good job. But it would be cool to try out something in that wattage range with the specs of a Twin. Not technical, just a player so maybe it can't been done... maybe have to use 6v6s because of the lower watts but with everything else the same would/could it be closer than the other lower watt Fenders?
 #159966  by Blacklodgebob

franklins_timmy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 pm I've wondered if it would be possible to create an almost identical replica of of a Fender Twin in much lower watts 20, 30 at the most? Same circuit, tone stack, 6l6s etc... ? The Blues Jr., Deluxe Reverb and Princetin Reverb do a really good job. But it would be cool to try out something in that wattage range with the specs of a Twin. Not technical, just a player so maybe it can't been done... maybe have to use 6v6s because of the lower watts but with everything else the same would/could it be closer than the other lower watt Fenders?
its called a Redplate Blackverb check it out
franklins_timmy liked this
 #159970  by Bigfoot Co.

I generally use a mid 70s deluxe reverb with a k120, which sounds good to me.

I have a friend who has the same amp, but has done the 6l6 trip to it and has a jbl installed. That thing is pretty cool.

For modern production, You might also consider checking out a Carr Rambler. 6l6 power section at 28 watts. They sound really nice as built. Never heard one with a jbl, but I’d bet it’d get you in the ballpark, at least for a combo amp.

I think it’s probably a good idea to stick with a k or a d model speaker. The e would be just overkill for under 50w. Just my opinion
 #159980  by WokeUpDead

I've been playing through the super reverb the last couple of days. I disconnected two of the speakers and it's still loud as hell. lol. With the buffer in the strat I can at least turn the guitar down and have it still sound good. The thing I'm running into though is that the strat with the buffer has so much high end it can be really piercing. Especially if I try the Jerry amp settings with the treble cranked and no bass. I've got plenty of K and D 110's I'll try in the Super but I wonder if they'll be even more shrill... I'll find out soon enough I suppose.
 #159981  by franklins_timmy

I use to run my Fender combo at the standard Jerry settings... treble dimed, no bass. Dug around here one day quite a while back and found those are the recommended settings for a Fender Twin & Mac. I have been using treble 7, mids 10, bass a hair pass 2, reverb to taste now. I like it better... may or may not help/ work for you. Here's the thread http://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t=12652
 #159982  by WokeUpDead

franklins_timmy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:36 pm I use to run my Fender combo at the standard Jerry settings... treble dimed, no bass. Dug around here one day quite a while back and found those are the recommended settings for a Fender Twin & Mac. I have been using treble 7, mids 10, bass a hair pass 2, reverb to taste now. I like it better... may or may not help/ work for you. Here's the thread http://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t=12652
The pure Jerry settings are not necessarily working for me right now but the good news is I don't need the perfect Jerry tone. I just want fantastic guitar tone. That's my main mission.
Blacklodgebob liked this
 #159985  by Blacklodgebob

Woke up Dead - stop using JBL speakers - they need too much power to smoothen out unless your using D's which will blow at 50w. Tone Tubby Purple's will smooth out the highs and give you a familiar e120 voice at much lower volumes.

As for the super - would not advise on working with that circuit for these purposes. Bandmaster reverb heads Ive had good luck with though - just like hauling a sub zero refrigerator around.

Seriously checkout a Fargen Blackbird or a Redplate Blackverb. You guys would love it. 40ibs of tone. I had two redplates, but the backup never got used. So sold that one, just have the one in a head cabinet now. Killer!

* just wanted to add that I find you get that Jerry on stage with a wall of sound tone with tubes in the power section a bunch easier than pushing any of the favorite SS power options. The transformer + tubes start cooking at a lot lower volume which with the other EQ Jerry tricks, decent speakers, pup, guitar etc - gets me there pretty quick. Out of two cabinets my 50w redplate is as loud as hell and can be clean as a bell at warp factor face melt volume
 #159987  by MattMan

A Twin with some E or K120s is a perfectly workable amp at low volumes. No need to play loud.

Although the trick for good Jerry tone IMO is a preamp tapped Twin, an old school power amp (e.g., McIntosh, MosValve), and JBLs, the other main trick for me is to tilt back the speaker cab or combo so the sound dissipates towards your ears, and if at all possible use a monitor with your guitar prominent in your monitor. That way you keep the volume reasonable. A Twin at low volumes is a great tone. With a monitor you can get great feedback too. Use pedals as needed for overdrive or distortion. I've been working on tone and technique full time for a few years now and the trick for me is speaker placement, a monitor, light pick technique that is as soft as my finger picking, and again, good speaker placement so I can hear it. Finally, get a good ear in the audience to tell you what they're hearing. Most club sound engineers in my neck of the country are used to metal bands where the guitar is a stack cranked, so they need a little help with a musical softer volume band playing jam band music. Finally, I shared the stage with a guitarist who was using a Blues Junior and he wanted my Twin after. The power of the Twin can be for volume but use it for tone.
hippieguy1954 and 1 others liked this
 #159989  by MattMan

MattMan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 am A Twin with some E or K120s is a perfectly workable amp at low volumes. No need to play loud.

Although the trick for good Jerry tone IMO is a preamp tapped Twin, an old school power amp (e.g., McIntosh, MosValve), and JBLs, the other main trick for me is to tilt back the speaker cab or combo so the sound dissipates towards your ears, and if at all possible use a monitor with your guitar prominent in your monitor. That way you keep the volume reasonable. A Twin at low volumes is a great tone. With a monitor you can get great feedback too. Use pedals as needed for overdrive or distortion. I've been working on tone and technique full time for a few years now and the trick for me is speaker placement, a monitor, light pick technique that is as soft as my finger picking, and again, good speaker placement so I can hear it. Finally, get a good ear in the audience to tell you what they're hearing. Most club sound engineers in my neck of the country are used to metal bands where the guitar is a stack cranked, so they need a little help with a musical softer volume band playing jam band music. Finally, I shared the stage with a guitarist who was using a Blues Junior and he wanted my Twin after. The power of the Twin can be for volume but use it for tone.
One other point that I haven't heard discussed much hear lately, but which Waldo reminded me--Jerry used 3 or 4 JBL Es or Ks not necessarily for stage volume but for tone because of the impedance from the speakers wired in parallel. So 3 x 8 ohm parallel / 3 = ~ 2.7 ohms, and you power that mismatched upward at the 4 or 8 ohm tap on your power amp and you're going to get very nice, warm, slightly clipped tone at a reasonable volume (using a Twin, gain at 5, treble 8-10, mid 5-7, no bass, reverb to taste). I keep my guitar volume pot at less than 5. Very important to practice with your rig regularly to get the volume controlled. I can play in my garage and my camera picks up my breathing so it's really not that loud at all. Keep playing!
hippieguy1954 liked this