rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#159859  by Budman
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:40 am
First off I don't have much electric sound knowledge but iam amazed at what people know on this site so if anyone could help I am wanting a Jerry tone from the early 70s and I thought having a blaster was the only major electric mod on his strat no pedals or obel? In all the pictures of alligator I only see the volume two tone and a 3way? Switch so by using a blaster and the right amp and speaker will that be enough to get me c!ose to jerry 70s I would like to use pedals also some times. Or would it be better to just go for a wolf style mod ?iam looking to keep it simple not too many switches and buttons i see some guitars with many switches and dials ,watching jerry videos he just flips one switch and effects change and he didn't have many switches I guess my biggest question is will a stock strat and a stratoblaster be groovy enough or should I go straight to a obel and buffer super 2s wolf style?
 #159864  by waldo041
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:11 pm
how long have you been studying Jerry's playing? How long have you played?

~waldo
 #159874  by Searing75
 Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:32 pm
A stock strat with a stratoblaster on board will be groovy enough.
 #159875  by Budman
 Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Waldo you are the one who told me abounded rukind i when I emailed you about a buffer and I asked about your amp work I've been looking for a twin with jbls but can't find any locally I did manage to find a jble120 local and iam making a box now I also ordered a SMS that should be a good start I am new at internet and surprised to see such a interest in the dead and their music a real lot of good info on here sorry to be a pain in the rear but my electric knowledge is not so good and sorry for stupd questions I've been playing dead for a while I got into it in 84 played in a couple dead bands not too long or serious but having fun playing grateful dead with friends in the neighboring nownfor the pst year I've been playing banjo all my life and fiddle for a while still do I know how important good equipment is and it makes it a lot easier with good equipment thanks for all your advice iam listening and I think iam on the right track mostly because of you and the people on rukind
 #159877  by waldo041
 Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 pm
Budman wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Waldo you are the one who told me abounded rukind i when I emailed you about a buffer and I asked about your amp work I've been looking for a twin with jbls but can't find any locally I did manage to find a jble120 local and iam making a box now I also ordered a SMS that should be a good start I am new at internet and surprised to see such a interest in the dead and their music a real lot of good info on here sorry to be a pain in the rear but my electric knowledge is not so good and sorry for stupd questions I've been playing dead for a while I got into it in 84 played in a couple dead bands not too long or serious but having fun playing grateful dead with friends in the neighboring nownfor the pst year I've been playing banjo all my life and fiddle for a while still do I know how important good equipment is and it makes it a lot easier with good equipment thanks for all your advice iam listening and I think iam on the right track mostly because of you and the people on rukind
I apologize if my questions sounded or felt judgmental in a negative way. I was only trying to analyze my answer to the question you posed. IMHO, i think it is a great idea, especially for those that dig those early 70 tones to go with the basic fender single coils and a blaster. It is a great place to start off, but it won't scratch the itch of a dual sound blaster wolf type setup or dual sounds/super 2's with a buffer. Different animals, literally! an Alligator, Wolf and a Tiger oh my. OBEL, Effects and color can come later. Start with the chops, without the fingers it won't work. That was the angle i was taking.

~waldo
milobender liked this
 #159878  by Budman
 Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 pm
I was not offended I appreciate what you got to say gonna put the blaster in and play with that for a while, sooner or later I will get another guitar worthy of a wolf or later style mod thanks for the advice if I did this with no advice from you guys I may never be able to achieve what iam trying acomplish and probably waste a lot of time and money while at it thanks again