rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#159838  by WokeUpDead
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 pm
I've got a buffer in an old strat and I think it's great. I have another Strat with Fender CS69's in it that I'm considering adding either a buffer or a blaster. I just started using a Sparkle Drive as a clean boost so I'm wondering if I should go with another buffer or should I go with a blaster?
 #159840  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:56 pm
IMHO, I would choose the buffer. I've tried both in strats and for my purposes, I prefer the buffer. You can put any kind of boost in a pedal anywhere in the pedal chain. I have also put a blaster in a pedal and it makes a great boost. I do not use it much though. I found that the guitar volume pot is the best boost and having the signal hitting the buffer is the purist tone.
 #159863  by waldo041
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Get a REAL Alembic blaster and change the pickups to some vintage fenders(or custom shop) or even d. allen's. That would be a good start for the period you are referencing. However, know that no amount of knob spinning with that wiring will get you close to his 85 tones.

IMHO, YMMV,
~waldo
 #159865  by Gr8fulCadi
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm
Having 2 strats I chose to put an Alembic blaster in my 2nd strat. I bought a preloaded pickgaurd with cs69’s and I did all this cause I wanted a scaled-down alligator. I ordered the blaster straight from Alembic for $100.
My first strat has a Wald buffer so I didn’t want two of the same strats , unless you want a spitting image backup axe. I have Waldo’s adjustable buffer too, in a Phiga Eagle with Super II’s which cures my 80’s through 90’s itch.
So it’s a matter of, do you want a backup strat or another flavor? Enjoy!
 #159866  by Jon S.
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:49 pm
I put a CAE Sound Buffer (I have a Waldo buffer in another guitar, both are fine, though for my next Jerry guitar, if there is one, I'll go with a Redeemer) in my S-style axe (the '98 Reverend USA Avenger, pictured below).

For a blaster type effect, I use either the MXR Micro Amp model in my Line 6 M13 or my XTS Pegasus Boost pedal for Blaster-like impact.

Here's my reasoning: I feel the buffer has its maximum positive tonal impacts immediately following the PUPs. Using a buffered pedal (or a pedal buffer) is good for what it is, too, but not quite the same as buffering the signal immediately in the guitar. Whereas I have another guitar with an on-board Blaster I can compare with my two guitars with on board buffers. Based on running the latter two through my M13 or Pegasus pedals, I feel that placing the Blaster in the pedal chain is relatively less impactful than having the initial buffer there.

Hope this helps.

#159869  by Gr8fulCadi
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:10 pm
WokeUpDead wrote:
I've got a buffer in an old strat and I think it's great. I have another Strat with Fender CS69's in it that I'm considering adding either a buffer or a blaster. I just started using a Sparkle Drive as a clean boost so I'm wondering if I should go with another buffer or should I go with a blaster?
Seeing that this in ‘Jerry Tone’ I’d personally stick with Alembic or Wald if Jer tone IS what ur after. If not then the sky is the limit.
 #159870  by WokeUpDead
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:10 pm
WokeUpDead wrote:
Seeing that this in ‘Jerry Tone’ I’d personally stick with Alembic or Wald if Jer tone IS what ur after. If not then the sky is the limit.
Excellent point. I have been researching his sound and I see so many guys that really have it nailed but I think I prefer the idea of having my own sound with the lineage coming from Jerry. Like my playing.. I like having my own voice and prefer to develop that but acknowledging the lineage from Garcia. There are so many guitarists and different music that I love and am influenced by but my playing is clearly descended from heavy Jerry influence.

I already have a spare buffer and a boost pedal so maybe I'll go that way.

I'll be getting one strat modified to Tiger specs as soon as I order the neck I want. I've got my old 66 strat with a buffer and then this other one with the custom shop 69's and put a buffer. I think I'll be set for strats. Ha.
 #159871  by Budman
 Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:51 pm
Thanks a lot that's some good advice I think I will keep going with alligator and when I get ahold of the right guitar I will mod up a 80s style with the proper buffer and all that goes with it