#159733  by Blacklodgebob

This is regarding the mini line of quilters - I was digging a mach 2 as a return fx loop power option, but when I tried to move down to the 101 / reverbs for more portability I ran into a couple of major issues:

1) over time the quilter can be damaged by bypassing the entire preamp section as its hitting the full 120w on the amp and its not meant to do that -after having issues i asked pat quilter and he got right back saying yes its not good

2) Ive had other quilter products without too many issues - but Ive now tried a 101 mini and then a 101 mini reverb, and both were extremely noisy, susceptible to about every type of interference you can get. Radio, cellphone, noise floor in general, whatever you can think of - tried power at different friends houses etc, no different. Tried it in studio hoping I could power a stereo second speaker cab, and boom had some radio interference out in the middle of nowhere off an iso power rig. Checked around online - and it seems to be a common issue with these, and Pat Quilter is an all around awesome to deal with, has been very responsive to my emails etc, but there isnt really an answer from Quilter on noise. Its seemingly inherent (unacceptable noise) in some of his designs more than others

3) using a carvin DCM200l to a/b test the interference on another power source, has zero noise issues. Barn shack to mill valley. Super funny as I was just raving about the quilters and now I'm back on the team 1u - using a compressor for light squish and moving on for now
 #159736  by Jon S.

I love my DCM200L. Paired with a SMS Classic TR w/Jerry mods preamp into a 2U Gator short rack it's literally around 16 lbs. and sounds great. What's not to love!
RLW liked this
 #159748  by RLW

Jon S. wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 am I love my DCM200L. Paired with a SMS Classic TR w/Jerry mods preamp into a 2U Gator short rack it's literally around 16 lbs. and sounds great. What's not to love!
Agree. I have the same into twin 2x12s ( Trey style) one with vintage E120s and one with Weber D120 clones - don't use them at the same time, but switch around a bit - anyway - I love the tone. I also have a Wolf from Tom Lieber. I'm not as amazing as some of the folk who post great clips of their bands, but I do play quite a bit and the tone I get out of that rig is impressive. Also - you can easily travel with that if you rack mount with casters, put one of the 2x12s on top and you can roll it around. I did buy a 3x12 from Tracey, and it's impressive, but it weighs to much to leave the house. Yeah, I know, too much gear, but that's not the point, unless you talk to my missus.

Furthermore, I found that if you add a tube screamer, compressor, and a hollow body that rig works really well for a Trey tone. Not that this is a Phis site, but I assume most here like the band, or at the very least respect them.

Anyway - I tone chased a bit and I think this is the best rig for me. When DSO rings up then I will go for the McIntosh :lol: ... but for now this is me done tone chasing - just spend time playing.
 #159749  by RLW

brian.tele wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 am I'm interested to know what you use for a compressor in the rig?
I have a vintage Ross, which I know isn't really a Jerry thing but it's nice. I sort of have a Trey / Jerry set up for peddles - TS9 Tube Screamer, Ross, Q-Tron - that's it. And mostly play direct into the amp. Which I think sounds fine.