#159496  by WokeUpDead

My twin reissue is acting up so I may take it in to the amp guy in town. I'm wondering if people think it's worthwhile to modify the electronics in the amp. I hear about black facing them but what other sort of modifications have people done and are they things that give a noticeable improvement? Are there schematics and what not out there for mods? If I ask him to modify the amp I'd want him to be clear on what I'm looking for and since I"m not clear myself maybe this community can help me with descriptions.
 #159508  by GeneralGoldilocks

Lots of people on this board know a hell of a lot more about this than I do, but I do know some basic things I will try to explain.

The good news is....... your amp is already blackfaced. that is why the faceplate on it is black. From 63 to 67, fender had black painted faceplates on their amps, and that is what blackface means. When CBS bought Fender in 65 they changed the faceplates on the amps to silver starting in 68. Your amp is a reissue of the most famous and well loved circuit in Fender history, the AB763 circuit, which was commonly associated with many amps in that era around the CBS buyout. The Twin, Super, Bandmaster, Showman, Deluxe are some of the amps that were AB763, the circuit Jerry used, albeit a modified one.

All of Jerry's amps, and all amps back then were wired with eyelet boards and point to point soldering was used. In your reissue, a PCB board is used and all the components are soldered onto it. Now people will argue all day about if this build method sounds different, better, worse, etc..... One of the main issues with the PCB board reissues is modding them. I have heard it can be difficult, but I am not sure. I barely know how to drain the caps and bias the tubes in my amps. All I know is you have 95 percent of the circuit there in your reissue, a Blackface Fender AB763 Twin Reverb, so I, personally would not mess with it. If you want a modded amp, I would get Sarno's SMS classic tube preamp Jerry mod version, a power amp and a JBL D,K, or E 120. I finally made the plunge and went the SMS CTP route and coudn't be happier. I have two blackface AB763 amps, a Deluxe Reverb 65 reissue and a Super Reverb, and the SMS is more Jerry, for sure. That being said both of my other amps sound great and get me as close as I need to be, but this kind of becomes an unhealthy obsession, and you end up with several amps and spend time comparing them and writing about them instead of playing, but I digress....
 #159511  by PurpleTrails

Not a circuit mod, but have you swapped in some JBL 120D, K or E speakers? They were an original factory upgrade, and what Jerry used. My vintage silverface twin has a pair of 120K in it, and they do make a difference.
 #159519  by WokeUpDead

PurpleTrails wrote:Not a circuit mod, but have you swapped in some JBL 120D, K or E speakers? They were an original factory upgrade, and what Jerry used. My vintage silverface twin has a pair of 120K in it, and they do make a difference.
I haven't put any speakers in. I do have 8 Jbl 10" inch speakers. I've been thinking of throwing 2 or 4 of them in my old super reverb. There is a pair of E120 speakers for sale for $325. Seems pricy.

So it sounds like maybe I should just leave it as is other than possible replacing the speakers...
 #159523  by GeneralGoldilocks

I would leave it as is, although it may depend on the tech you bring it to to get it fixed. Those reissues are great sounding amps and get very close to the original although there are some who would disagree about that. The fact that there is no consensus and some people will swear one way or the other about PCB board reissues vs point to point eyelet board originals tells you the reissues can't sound that much "worse" than the originals. I have been on other boards where people really get into serious arguments about this very topic. Getting some JBL's in there will be worth it and the most noticeable mod you can pull off and you can do it yourself, but If you put two JBL E120's in there, you will be setting yourself up for a hernia. I forget how much they weigh, but over 20 lbs a piece, I would look for some K's. D's might blow in a twin and are ridiculously expensive anyway.
 #159536  by gratefulredhead

Perhaps this will help. The first post I'm playing thru a stock 65 TRRI with stock speakers even, using my guitar before I gave it any Jerry mods. DiMarzio bluesbucker pickups was the only upgrade.
https://youtu.be/v4CW_Ja6yj4

The second post is the same amp but given full Jerry mods, preamp out into a Mosvalve 962 solid state power amp, broken out of the combo into a head for weight reasons, through a JBL K120. The guitar has a tiger/late wolf set up...full Garcia treatment from IO Custom Guitars. No effects used in either video. I think there is a huge difference. My eq on my twin was the same in both. Treble10, Mids7, BassO.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9636904085
 #159553  by WokeUpDead

GeneralGoldilocks wrote:I would leave it as is, although it may depend on the tech you bring it to to get it fixed. Those reissues are great sounding amps and get very close to the original although there are some who would disagree about that. The fact that there is no consensus and some people will swear one way or the other about PCB board reissues vs point to point eyelet board originals tells you the reissues can't sound that much "worse" than the originals. I have been on other boards where people really get into serious arguments about this very topic. Getting some JBL's in there will be worth it and the most noticeable mod you can pull off and you can do it yourself, but If you put two JBL E120's in there, you will be setting yourself up for a hernia. I forget how much they weigh, but over 20 lbs a piece, I would look for some K's. D's might blow in a twin and are ridiculously expensive anyway.
Well I'll probably just get it serviced. The E120 guy would go $275. Says they are like new condition. Never left his house. Seems like a good deal now.
 #159554  by WokeUpDead

gratefulredhead wrote:Perhaps this will help. The first post I'm playing thru a stock 65 TRRI with stock speakers even, using my guitar before I gave it any Jerry mods. DiMarzio bluesbucker pickups was the only upgrade.
https://youtu.be/v4CW_Ja6yj4

The second post is the same amp but given full Jerry mods, preamp out into a Mosvalve 962 solid state power amp, broken out of the combo into a head for weight reasons, through a JBL K120. The guitar has a tiger/late wolf set up...full Garcia treatment from IO Custom Guitars. No effects used in either video. I think there is a huge difference. My eq on my twin was the same in both. Treble10, Mids7, BassO.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9636904085
NIce. Where are you playing there? Looks like a nice big well filled venue.
 #159555  by gratefulredhead

It's an historic theater in Iowa City called the Englert. Beautiful venue. DSO plays there occasionally. We draw a large crowd in eastern Iowa because it's our home turf. It was a really fun night.
I have a list of all the cap values etc that went into my Twin, I'd be happy to share do you can ask your amp tech what he'd charge to do the work. Mine charged about $400.
 #159557  by WokeUpDead

gratefulredhead wrote:It's an historic theater in Iowa City called the Englert. Beautiful venue. DSO plays there occasionally. We draw a large crowd in eastern Iowa because it's our home turf. It was a really fun night.
I have a list of all the cap values etc that went into my Twin, I'd be happy to share do you can ask your amp tech what he'd charge to do the work. Mine charged about $400.
And these caps etc. have what sort of effect? I would like to see the list please. I have a twin 65 reissue so I"m not sure if the changes are needed on this amp or if it's good. OTher commentors have said it's good to go as is. Do you think it's a good move to pick up the two E120's for my twin? I get that it would be a heavy beast but I suppose I could do the separate cabinet thing down the road.
 #159562  by Searing75

If you are anywhere near Western NY, I can do some nice Jerry mods for ya!
 #159564  by gratefulredhead

caspersvapors wrote:For your situation e120s in your twin would be overkill, you are never going to play somewhere where you can push those speakers that hard
Agreed. If you can't find a K120, Weber's alnico California 12 sounds almost identical. I have one in my cab with the K120. I've A/B'ed them many times. VERY similar.
 #159566  by aiq

My last couple of soeakers have been Weber Calis. New, reliable, don't have to sell a kidney to get one.

Just got a 1965 Deluxe-Amp, no reverb. Still has the blue paper Fender speaker in it.

Sounds amazing.

You just never know.