#159020  by Gratefulsl

Hi everyone I have a dilemma, I play through the internet and Im having a hard time understanding how to get a great electric sound. Essentially it's like recording to your computer. I do not want to use an amp and then "mic it", I have my pedaltrain board and individual pedals including qtron + Boss od-2 Boss Phaser Boss Compressor Boss equalizer and others... I use a Presonus ar12 live for my mixer/interface and I require no DAW software (it goes from the mixer to the computer to streaming software ,Nicecast). So essentially I go from guitar to pedal board to mixer to computer (via usb). Do I need a preamp or something to power it. Ive tried many things and still can't get a great sound. thanks
 #159025  by MattMan

If you have room, get yourself an isolation box for your speaker. That's what I've done for some home recordings. I've recording direct from the Twin Preamp output but its just not the same without the JBL speaker to get that Jerry tone. The other recording is just a mic'd speaker and keep it at a reasonable volume so the family doesn't complain.

Here's the speaker in a box sample. This is really cool because you can crank up the amp and get the speaker to break up:

Here's the mic'd speaker (you can hear me breathing so you know its not that loud, but the tone is great). The clipping you hear is the Twin and the Mac which have both been modded:

Here's the isolation cab:
 #159026  by Gratefulsl

Matt that's awesome ... so the isolation box houses a speaker which connects to your amp and you use the output of your amp and then mic the speaker in the isolation box? and do you get any sound coming thru the box? I play late and the neighbors will not be happy if the sound is heard. But great sound --- can you tell me the pedals you use and order if you have a chance?
 #159027  by strumminsix

Gratefulsl wrote:Thank you thats awesome so I would plug into pedals firsat then into the atomic? Someone suggested this as well https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElevenRackSP thanks for responding I appreciate it.
exactly, all your pedals then that!

if looking for an all one, I'd suggest L6 Helix. Love mine!
 #159032  by MattMan

Glad you like the iso box tone. Search web for "Guitar isolation box" and you will find a variety of designs. Mine is the box in a box design, like a double pane window, which gives extra suppression. I can have it really cranked at 3 am and nobody can hear it. If I were to make it again, I'd make the outside box with the 1inch sound suppression foam large enough to house my 1 x 12 cabinet. Pedals for that recording are just the OD1 clone. My full rig and pedal order are listed here: http://deadicated.us/the-band/