#158773  by RLW

Hi - looked around and didn't see this as a topic - so here is it ... JBLs ... D,E,K ? Where can you find them - not too often on Ebay / Reverb? Any decent clones? Avg price one should expect to pay per speaker?
 #158777  by MattMan

Contact these folks in Michigan and check if there are any D, E or K in stock: http://Facebook.com/spiralrecone, email: spiralrecone@gmail.com, phone: Call (248) 506-2560 Great technician. You pay via PayPal.

As far as D, E or K, you really need to experiment with your rig and explore the tone. Justin on this forum really likes the D. I assume he like the D because he gets more break up at lower stage volumes. My preference on stage is two 8 ohm E's because my rig is able to create some clipping in the Es at reasonable stage volumes. I use a modded Twin into a McIntosh MC2100 amp configured as impedance mismatched upward versus the speaker load making the amp see less of a load and pushing more current to the speakers, (i.e., two 8 ohm Es wired in parallel to create 4 ohm load and connected to the 8 ohm leg). I also like in my home studio using one 8 ohm K connected to the 16 ohm leg and put in an isolation box so I can really turn it up--at high amplitude the K gets warmer. I used to use two Ks on stage but I've found that the Es are a bit warmer with my rig. They're just freaking heavy. But I now use a RockNRoller Multi-Cart and I just put my full rig and speaker cab on the cart and I can conveniently roll it on and off the stage (and keep it all on the cart)--when there's a ramp!
 #158779  by RLW

Thank you. Are you digging around and finding the speakers on Ebay / Reverb or using one of the clones such as Weber? These original speakers are quite difficult to find and very expensive when you do find them - well, even a Weber version of the D is 215 each, but I assume in perfect condition.
 #158786  by TI4-1009

Did you look through the "Loudspeakers" section of this board? Lot's of discussions there.

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=424
strumminsix liked this
 #158796  by MattMan

RLW wrote:Thank you. Are you digging around and finding the speakers on Ebay / Reverb or using one of the clones such as Weber? These original speakers are quite difficult to find and very expensive when you do find them - well, even a Weber version of the D is 215 each, but I assume in perfect condition.
Now I just text or call spiral and ask what's in stock.
 #159603  by WokeUpDead

MattMan wrote:Contact these folks in Michigan and check if there are any D, E or K in stock: http://Facebook.com/spiralrecone, email: spiralrecone@gmail.com, phone: Call (248) 506-2560 Great technician. You pay via PayPal.

As far as D, E or K, you really need to experiment with your rig and explore the tone. Justin on this forum really likes the D. I assume he like the D because he gets more break up at lower stage volumes. My preference on stage is two 8 ohm E's because my rig is able to create some clipping in the Es at reasonable stage volumes. I use a modded Twin into a McIntosh MC2100 amp configured as impedance mismatched upward versus the speaker load making the amp see less of a load and pushing more current to the speakers, (i.e., two 8 ohm Es wired in parallel to create 4 ohm load and connected to the 8 ohm leg). I also like in my home studio using one 8 ohm K connected to the 16 ohm leg and put in an isolation box so I can really turn it up--at high amplitude the K gets warmer. I used to use two Ks on stage but I've found that the Es are a bit warmer with my rig. They're just freaking heavy. But I now use a RockNRoller Multi-Cart and I just put my full rig and speaker cab on the cart and I can conveniently roll it on and off the stage (and keep it all on the cart)--when there's a ramp!
So I've found a good deal on some E120's. Supposedly mint condition, never left the house, no recone for $275 for the pair. I've got a 65 twin reissue but the feedback I"m getting here is that the E's won't sound good unless I can crank the amp pretty good and right now the places I play a cranked twin isn't going to work. Do you think there is a way to use the E's that would sound good without going the whole McIntosh amp route? Just want to use them in my twin. Maybe just forget the E's and hold out for something else? Sounds like you've got something that works. Maybe you can share how I might mod things to get it sounding right?
 #159611  by gratefulredhead

I played several shows on a borrowed 65 Deluxe Reverb with a single E120 in it and it sounded fantastic. I think if you just use 1 speaker at a time, do the Twin "half power mod" ( pulling the two inner power tubes out) and pulling the preamp tube for the "normal" channel, you're going to be very pleased with the sound even at a reasonable volume.
 #159612  by Jon S.

I have a combo with a D and two 1X12s each with a K and E. I like them all. The K and E sound far more similar to my ears than either does to the D. The K and E are close enough (not identical - close enough) for my tastes that unless I was playing large venues and had to have a speaker that can handle ungodly wattages, I'd go with the lighter K. When it comes to describing tone in words, I've never been good - it's hard for me to describe well what makes the D unique. You know the sounds you get from a guitar with both humbuckers and a piezo PUP blended? What the piezo adds there, I hear a bit of that also in the D (which I love). Sorry for the imprecision!
 #159628  by WokeUpDead

If I'm understanding correctly there are some people in this forum saying that an E120 won't sound good until it's really pushed and putting them in a twin would require the amp to be too loud for most venues yet I'm also hearing people reporting using them in a Deluxe reverb and sounding great as well as running one in a twin with a couple power tubes pulled and sounding good. What am I missing? Why would using them in a lower powered amp sound better than running a pair of them at a lower volume in a twin sound better?
 #159629  by gratefulredhead

WokeUpDead wrote:If I'm understanding correctly there are some people in this forum saying that an E120 won't sound good until it's really pushed and putting them in a twin would require the amp to be too loud for most venues yet I'm also hearing people reporting using them in a Deluxe reverb and sounding great as well as running one in a twin with a couple power tubes pulled and sounding good. What am I missing? Why would using them in a lower powered amp sound better than running a pair of them at a lower volume in a twin sound better?
It's really a matter of taste and of small degrees. IMHO, a K120 sounds best at reasonable volumes and is lighter. I mentioned that I played an E series in a Deluxe at a somewhat reasonable volume and it sounded good. It didn't sound as good to my ears as a K120 at the same volume, or as good as an E120 being pushed hard. The point is you have options and none of them are losers. But I would get a K120 were I you.
Last edited by gratefulredhead on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #159630  by WokeUpDead

gratefulredhead wrote:
WokeUpDead wrote:If I'm understanding correctly there are some people in this forum saying that an E120 won't sound good until it's really pushed and putting them in a twin would require the amp to be too loud for most venues yet I'm also hearing people reporting using them in a Deluxe reverb and sounding great as well as running one in a twin with a couple power tubes pulled and sounding good. What am I missing? Why would using them in a lower powered amp sound better than running a pair of them at a lower volume in a twin sound better?
It's really a matter of taste and of small degrees. IMHO, a K120 sounds best at reasonable volumes and is lighter. I mentioned that I played an E series in a Deluxe at a somewhat reasonable volume and it sounded good. It didn't sound as good to my arms as a K120 at the same volume, or as good as an E120 being pushed hard. The point is you have options and none of them are losers. But I would get a K120 were I you.
Ok well that makes sense.
 #165750  by Pointclear

I know this is an old thread, but I want to chime in about my experiences with jbls. I have never used the d120’s, but I have cycled through quite a few e’s and k’s. My impression is that each individual speaker sounds different! Age and condition of the cone, etc. Seems to make a really big difference. Overall, I can say that the e’s are more crisp and fast sounding and the k’s are more round and sustaining. The high end on the k’s can get too piercing sometimes. I prefer to mix an e and a k together in a cabinet. I feel I get the best of both worlds.